Browsing: Uses for Old Maps

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Uses for Old Maps

Maps get updated often and so it doesn't take long for a map to get out of date. That leaves a lot of old maps to find uses for but fortunately there are many ways to use them. This is a guide about uses for old maps.

Uses for Old Maps, Photo of an old map.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

October 9, 2009 Flag

I invested in a laminating machine from the office store a few years ago for some craft projects, and really got carried away. I had scads of road maps (available for free from each state's tourism office). I cut these to fit my kitchen drawers, laminated them, and slid them in. They can be wiped free of crumbs and spills, and are fun drawer-liners.

Then I laminated some brochures from our favourite RV parks, and use them as placemats at rest stops. For the motorhome, I laminated one entire map to use as a giant placemat to cover the whole dining table - it can be rolled up, held together with a rubber band and stored away in the RV. And all of these nice things were free, except the cost of the lamination.

By Lady Eleanour from The Rocket City

April 11, 2007 Flag

Uses for Old Maps, Photo of an old map.Here are some creative uses for old maps.

Place Under Glass

I used an old map to cover the top of a badly scratched desk. Laid the map on top and covered with a piece of glass I had cut to order.

By Ann

Decorate Boxes

My dad covers old ice-cream cartons (the kind you can get from ice cream shops after they're empty) with old maps to use as trashcans. They really look nice and they're dirt cheap.

By Calnorth

Creative Wallpaper

We rented a 2 bedroom, one bath home in another state for six weeks a couple of years ago. The bathroom had been wallpapered in roadmaps. It was really fun to see even our small town listed there. And we found many places that we had visited while on vacation.

By Great Granny Vi

Place on Paneled Doors as Decor

I teastain them and burn the edges to give them a vintage look. I then cut them to the correct size and hot glue or paste them on the raised panels on my doors. The panels themselves are already framed, in essence. It really dresses up those ugly six-paneled cheapy looking doors.

By Suzanne S.

Make Envelopes

My sister has made me a set of envelopes made from old National Geographic maps. You could probably find a template online or just take apart one from the mail. The construction is pretty easy and they look wonderful. She also giftwraps with them and sometimes does original artwork with maps as well.

By Jess

Mail To Your Friends

Cut out designs in starburst shape, etc., and glue to your personal mail to friends. Like, "I am on the road again" or "Come see me sometime", "Heading out again", etc. Use your imagination.

By Syd

April 25, 2006 Flag

You can wall paper a small area with maps or even foreign language newspapers. When I was a kid I just LOVED a hallway of some friends of my parents which was papered in National Geographic maps!

Better Living Green Living ReusingFebruary 9, 2012
Cookie sheet
Uses for Old Cookie Sheets
Creative Wallpaper
Creative Wallpaper Ideas
Uses for Old Briefcases, Worn two strap leather briefcase.
Uses for Old Briefcases
Ring of old keys.
Uses for Old Keys
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 16, 2016 at 1:07:12 PM on 10.0.2.214 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.