Uses for Old Maps

Maps get updated often and so it doesn't take long for a map to get out of date. That leaves a lot of old maps to find uses for but fortunately there are many ways to use them. This is a guide about uses for old maps.

October 9, 2009 Flag

I invested in a laminating machine from the office store a few years ago for some craft projects, and really got carried away. I had scads of road maps (available for free from each state's tourism office). I cut these to fit my kitchen drawers, laminated them, and slid them in. They can be wiped free of crumbs and spills, and are fun drawer-liners.

Then I laminated some brochures from our favourite RV parks, and use them as placemats at rest stops. For the motorhome, I laminated one entire map to use as a giant placemat to cover the whole dining table - it can be rolled up, held together with a rubber band and stored away in the RV. And all of these nice things were free, except the cost of the lamination.

By Lady Eleanour from The Rocket City

Great idea!

I love these ideas. What kind of and how big a laminator would be best for home uses, such as you mentioned? Do you remember where you got it?

Could you use clear contac paper instead of laminating?

Just remember, never laminate a picture unless it is a copy. The laminate can get scratched and foggy and your picture can be ruined.

April 11, 2007 Flag

Here are some creative uses for old maps. I used an old map to cover the top of a badly scratched desk. Laid the map on top and covered with a piece of glass I had cut to order.

Uses for Old Maps, Photo of an old map.

April 25, 2006 Flag

You can wall paper a small area with maps or even foreign language newspapers. When I was a kid I just LOVED a hallway of some friends of my parents which was papered in National Geographic maps!

Better Living Green Living ReusingFebruary 9, 2012
Cookie sheet
Uses for Old Cookie Sheets
Creative Wallpaper
Creative Wallpaper Ideas
Uses for Old Briefcases, Worn two strap leather briefcase.
Uses for Old Briefcases
Ring of old keys.
Uses for Old Keys