Uses for Old Overalls

Category Reusing
Old Overalls
Even after the knees and other areas on your overalls are well worn, there may still be ways to utilize them in crafts and other projects. This is a guide about uses for old overalls.

I have found a great way to recycle the denim overalls my husband wears out, with no waste. Cut the top bib portion off around the waist area and triple stitch it shut using a heavy duty coat thread. Next, go up to where the bibs "clip" on. Triple stitch that down as well, and you now have secure handles. You have just created a washable shopping bag!

For a clothespin holder, do the same as above, but don't stitch the straps down - you will need to unbuckle them to hang it on your clothes line.

Now, for the legs, cut them into squares, of either 4, 5, or 6 inches (depending on the size of the legs). Save your squares until you have enough to make a lap quilt, or even a bed quilt out of. It can be all denim, or alternate with another fabric, such as cotton or flannel. I made one several years ago and backed it with a brand new thrift store flannel sheet that I bought for 50 cents.

My husband usually wears out 3 pairs a year. I try to mend the rears and patch the knees, but after awhile it is just time to recycle them. The "softer" the legs, the softer your quilt will be. Children love to get a blanket or purse made from Grandpa or their favorite uncle's old overalls!

By mom-from-missouri from NW MO

This is a guide about making two aprons from jean overalls. One pair of jeans overalls provides what you need to make two different aprons.

Jean Apron 2

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I have several pairs of my husbands old overalls. The legs are worn thin and ripped, but the top bib part is still good fabric. Any ideas what craft I could use these for? I had been saving them to replace the bib clips on a good pair that break, but I have a good supply of those now.

April from NW MO

Add a skirt and wear them yourself :)

Hi there.

Just a thought. Try cutting the overalls just below the bib. Turn inside out and stitch across. Turn right way out and fill with pegs. Hang from the line by placing the straps over the line and clipping together.

Goodluck :)

If you still have the bibs from the overalls I would be interested it buying them.

Anonymous

I have 3 or 4 pairs if u are still interested. I am looking for ideas on things I can make from them.

Anonymous

add material to the bib and make an apron

You can make aprons out of the top part. Cut jeans down side leaving the pockets on. Cut on the back off down to the crotch then cut from one side to the other and hem the sides then the bottom. Then take a piece of jean that is good then make a stripe to go around you head to cover the top. Then make a stripes to tie a round you. That way you have a bib apron to wear. I do not have a picture to show how it looks but good luck.

Anonymous

Make denim purses or carry bags & use the bib part as the flap. Claudia from AZ