Uses for Old or Unwanted Lipstick

Category Reusing
Many of us have a collection of lipstick tubes rolling around in a drawer. Perhaps they are nearly empty or the color is unflattering. This is a guide about uses for old or unwanted lipstick.

Does anyone have uses for old lipsticks? I just don't want to have them fill up landfills.

By Marie K

Best Answer

I have a beautiful shade which is no longer being sold. When it got so low the metal on the tube was scratching my lips I bought a brush and I'm still using it. I got it when I was working full time. I left that job in June of 1995. I am still using that color. I figure it will do me the rest of my life. I have other shades but none I like as well. Don't toss those tubes yet.

Best Answer

Lipstick can be used a blush on your cheeks. Pat it on with your fingers.

Best Answer

You can make your own gloss and add the lipstick into it to make a new colour. Use equal parts shortening and Vaseline; put in microwave in a measuring cup add in pieces of the lipstick. Leave in only until melted. You can do this in a double broiler as well. When melted, stir up and pour into old lip pots. It will harden. Ready to use!

Best Answer

All good answers I would have listed, too. However, when the tube is comepletly empty, you might want to try this. Heat some water to hot but not boiling, or just nuke a cup of water and put the tube inside. When all waxy residue is gone, let dry. Make sure you get all "hidden" parts dry, as older tubes are often metal.

I then use it for small things like dimes, if it's large enough, pills, or my favorite, antacids! Hope this helps.

Anonymous

Or as a (hundred) dollar bill holder.

Does anyone have a use for old, unused lipsticks? A craft? A method to make them usable as lipsticks again? Thanks!

Mary from Weaverville, NC

Best Answer

Make your own lipgloss by melting them into a little Vaseline in a small pot (microwave for about 30 seconds). The more Vaseline, the more transulcent the gloss.

Best Answer

You can keep using them as lipsticks without having to make them diluted with Vaseline into a lipgloss. As long as the colours are similar, you can scoop the remnants out into a small microwaveable pot, and zap briefly until soft enough to stir together. Store them into a sealed pot and use a brush to apply like regular lipstick. I do this with all of mine.

you can always use them for writing on bathroom mirror . (reminders, love notes, messages)

Check out the DIY show called Creative Juice. They did an episode called "New Looks for old containers" and they took an old compact, lip balm and pieces of old lipstick and made some great lipgloss!

Website is www.diynetwork.com. Look up Creative juice and scroll thru their episodes. "New looks for old containers" is episode number DCRJ-313.

Good Luck!

Find a lipstick that your Mom doesn't want anymore or pick a large lipstick at the dollar store. Carefully remove all the lipstick from a large empty lipstick tube. From an old broom cut a clump of straw about 1 1/2 inches long. Fill the lipstick holder with strong glue or ask dad to help you with the hot glue gun and insert the clump of bristles. Hold them in place until the glue sets. Then wrap it and give it to your Mom for Mother's Day as a special present!

Why would anyone want a tube filled with a bunch of straw bristles? What on earth would you use this for? I can't picture it.

What is this, exactly?