Uses for Paper Clips

Paper Clips
Paper clips are very handy for other jobs in addition to their main use. They can be used in your craft projects as well. This is a guide about uses for paper clips.

I am working on some place mats for my son and his family. My daughter-in-law's grandmother passed away a few years ago, and her sewing machine and all the accompanying stuff passed to my daughter-in-law. She doesn't sew, so she gave me a lot of the trims and such. She gave me a beautiful piece of fabric without asking me to do anything with it. I decided to do the place mats so there will be my work and the grandmother's and great-grandmother's fabric. Something for Mike, Andrea, and the kids.

Now for my tip. I have a rather unorthodox way of attaching bias tape to some items. I just insert the fabric into the fold and stitch it down. Since the place mats are oval shaped, I was having trouble holding them flat and in place. I bought a box of the little plastic paper clips, and they are working just fine. I just stitch a ways and remove them. They are much less expensive than the quilting clips.

By MartyD from Houston, TX

If you have no straight pins, use paper clips to keep folded-over fabric in place when sewing a simple hem. Just slide the paper clip along the material as you work. Works really well.

This, as with most of my tips was born of necessity. I am too old to be crawling around on the floor with a flashlight trying to retrieve straight pins that I have dropped. I laid the tee shirt dress I was making for my granddaughter on my folding cutting board. Since it is made from card board, I did use a few pins to "nail" it into place. As I measured the hem, I used plastic paper clips to hold it in place. When I moved it from my bed to the ironing board to press the hem in place I didn't worry about pins all over the floor. I have found many uses for these little things, since they are plastic they don't rust or damage anything. If I want pieces from one view of a pattern I use a plastic paperclip instead of the straight pins I used to use. Clip them on the pages of favorite recipes so you don't have to keep turning back to the same place. They are also great bookmarks. They are well worth the 2 or 3 dollars you might pay for them.

By MartyD from Houston, TX

This is a guide about craft uses for paper clips. Paper clips can be used for all sorts of crafts.

DIY Paper Clip Barbie Hangers

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Tips for using paper clips for something other than organizing paper. Post your ideas.

It's a little late but I use paper clips to hang ornaments on the Christmas tree. Just bend them so that you have a hook on each side

By Lois

I have a zipper with a pulltab that had broken off of a coat that was still in otherwise excellent shape. I slipped a paperclip through the hole where the tab had previously been and works great.

Other Paper clip uses

keep shut potato chip and other snack bags

Keep pairs of winter gloves together when stored

use an end of a p-clip to free broken keys from locks

a cheap key ring

hold bouquets of artificial flowers together.

an emergency button for shirts or sweaters,and jackets

Emergency clothes pins

i have used paperclips for my projects in ICT in school :D

I tie a string on them...tie the end of the string to our shower curtain rod...and clip on my just washed hose..or other small items to dry...

They are great for cleaning the dust bunnies from in-between keys on the computer keyboard.