Uses for Paper Plates

Category Tips
Uses for Paper Plates
Besides using in craft projects, these plates can be helpful for a variety of things. This guide contains uses for paper plates.

I am getting ready to move and am packing up my dishes. I have packed my plates between paper plates that I got from the dollar store. They take up less room than newspaper. When I get to my new place, I can just put the plates in the cupboard without washing them once again, and the paper plates are used over again for lunch time.

By Sandy from Nova Scotia

Wonderful hint, just hope I can remember it, thanks.

I guess if you are moving a short distance that may be okay,but if the dishes have to stay in boxes more than a day I would wash them. Boxes draw bugs and you never know what has crawled in side them. You could also use coffee filters between the dishes. I have used my towels, wash clothes, dish towels and dish rags to pack my dishes with also.

That's a clever idea!

I suppose styrofoam plates would also work, but paper is a little greener/biodegradable. I always hated having to wash the newspaper ink off my dishes after a move.

Great idea, Sandy. I, too, am getting ready to move and will definitely use the paper plates! Thanks.

Great idea. You would think as many times as I have moved. :( I might have thought of that myself, lol Thank you!

I store a stack of paper plates on top of my microwave. When I put something like soup in the microwave, I slip a plate under the dish. It helps in case there is a boil over but mostly I do it so I can scoot it out onto the rest of the paper stack and safely bring it to the table.

If you can't find the dustpan in a hurry, grab a cheap paper plate and cut it in half. Use it to scoop up food spills, broken glass, etc. It will do the job initially, then sweep or wipe the area clean ASAP.

By JodiT from Aurora, CO

Unusual Website - I found this really neat website that has great ideas for using paper plates as learning tools for your kids - and these are not simple art projects. I'm thinking someone might be able to take advantage of this for a science fair project or homeschooling. The site is http://analyzer.depaul.edu/paperplate/.

By Marie from West Dundee, IL

I could not access that URL

Editor's Note: Sorry about that, it is fixed now and should work.

Nope - I couldn't get in today either (2-17)

The website is http://analyzer … .edu/paperplate/

Checked out that site, the one for folding circles is especially interesting. Will forward that to a couple of teachers. Good for the brain. Thanks.