Uses for Plastic Baby Food Containers

Category Reusing
Finding uses or recycling these containers keeps them from filling the landfills. This guide is about uses for plastic baby food containers.

My husband, 2 year-old, and I live in Massachusetts, and the rest of my family is in Maine, so we do a fair amount of traveling back and forth. Rather than carrying whole pill bottles, I use plastic Gerber baby food containers with lids and put enough pills to last the time that we are there (and usually a few days extra in case we are stuck due to snow in the winter). I mark the containers with a marker to avoid confusion.

I had a bunch of these left from "baby days" so it's a good way to use them. They are also great for jewelry, elastic bands, and tacks.

By Rita from MA

I take a picture of each of my prescription bottles on my smart phone. I can then carry my meds in the weekly container on a trip

I love the little plastic containers that our son's baby food comes in. They have so many uses. I like to reuse them for his snacks, such as goldfish crackers and sandwich crackers. The lids snaps on securely and they fit easily into my purse. :)

I do similar, get them from my neighbor who did daycare. I buy batteries in bulk (30-40 at a time), and store each size in their own container..same ends pointing same direction.

Also, buttons, screws, nails, etc can all be stored and then I store the screws/nails in a big box container, easier for those looking for them to not be laying around. (What guy puts them away...just stuff in pocket or lay on counter). Put in boxes!

Recycled baby food containers for organizing. These baby food containers can be used to organize just about anything, but I used them to organize my nails, screws, hooks, etc. They can also be easily stacked.

Gerber baby food containers are pictured.

By April from Albany, GA

I use these to make individual puddings and jello cups instead of buying them individual. I get six of these from 1 box of jello or pudding mix.

I have a ton of the plastic square baby food containers with lids. We would like to use them for VBS crafts. Does anyone have any simple kid friendly craft ideas that we could use these in? Thanks.

By April from NW MO

Best Answer

Here are some from a first-grade teacher.

For the Teacher: organizers for desk (paper clips, etc)

Music: have students experiment with sounds by putting various objects in to shake

Science: grow a seed in water and watch it sprout

make a miniature biome! they could make one for each biome and have a collection

poke some holes and have a bug catcher

put spices in and use for sniffing and identifying smells

Math: use for sorting, balance, use to teach all +-x and / with manipulatives

Social Studies: make a bulletin board with a classroom world map and showcase crafts from around the world inside while pinning the containers to the country on the map

Art: 3D Christmas tree ornaments

endless uses, especially for paints for groups to use

Misc: send one home with each child at the beginning of the school year and have them put something inside to tell about themselves to the rest of the class

A number of thoughts come to mind.

1) jars for storing glue, paint, glitter, etc. that you might use for creating your crafts

2) jars for making up premade cocoa or tea mixes, etc. to give as gifts or sell

3) storing safety pins, beads, buttons, paper clips, tacks, etc.

4) jars for putting honey in to sell or give as gifts

When I was doing my Early Childhood education degree I had to find projects for a class and we had to have like 50 projects. I came across a baby food jar project that you put water, some glitter, and a dollar store figure on the top of the jar. Then something else (to make the water stay clear). I don't recall that product but if you put those all together it makes it look like a home made snow globe. The thing is the children love to pick the figures and the glitter. Make sure you help them with the glitter though, they tend to be a bit messy. Oh and use cloth or something on the button (which would be top of the jar), or velvet would be the best, red, green, white, black, they tend to end up being Christmas presents.

paint it white make into snow man body cut picture of childs face only put black construction paper hat on the head insert into top of body add ribbon for scarf .

A Child snowman ornament.

Can anyone tell me what to do with the new baby foods square plastic boxes? I have used them for jewelry, storing small items, storing matches, sewing kits, safety pin and straight pins, small staples, buttons, cut up fruit. I am out of ideas!

justmyimagination2002 from savannah, TN

I was wondering if a preschool, daycare, or gradeschool art teacher could possibly make use of these for paint or some other type of art supplies. I'm not crafty, but that was my first thought.

Trudy Powell

Indepdent Watkins Assoc. #357561

Watkins Heritage Products (i.e. vanilla, spices, extracts, liniments, salves, household cleaners, etc.)

trudypowell@sbcglobal.net (request a catalog)

http://www.mo3bk.com

I used them for little snacks for my sons diaper bag, cheerios, crackers, etc. I also stashed them around the house so I wouldn't have to go to the kitchen everytime he wanted a little snack. You could put snacks in them and keep them in the car, your purse, etc.

Use for condiments when brown bagging lunch. Or use for personal dip dishes for chips & dip, or personal ketchup dish for fries. BBQ sauce, duck sauce, etc.

I refill them with home made baby food.

I do in-home daycare, plus have grandkids. I have so many of the plastic, round baby food containers that are out there nowadays. What can I do craftwise with them? A couple of years ago, I painted them and then put homemade candies in them, but I'd like some new ideas! Thanks.

By Robin B

Make a small dish (jar lid is perfect) with some glue in it and another with glitter. Dip and dip, then let dry. When dry, tie a sizable knot to the end of some ribbon, thread it through a darning needle, and thread it through the inside to the back (bottom) of the cups. Decorate with ribbons, mini poinsettias, buttons, flowers, or any small decorative item and they become bells. Hang them from upper window sills, your car mirror, door knobs and more.

Our baby grandson just began eating solid foods and I am now saving the handy Gerber oblong plastic containers and snap lids for neat little storage tubs. Thus far, we have re-used them for powdered formula and rice cereal on the go in his diaper bag.

They will be quite useful for organizing small items, such as safety pins, paper clips, and my scrap booking supplies. They can be used to store hardware in the workshop and tiny clutter from the junk drawer. When an item is dismantled for storage, they are perfect for hardware. One could also store Band-aids and small tubes of Neosporin ointment neatly in the car and quarters for the car wash.

The possibilities go on and I am quite sure, I will be sharing them with friends and family until the baby is old enough to eat Grammy's meals.

By Kathy from Western, PA

Answers:

Reusing Plastic Baby Food Containers

I use them for individual jello servings too. (05/29/2009)

By JacobsMamaKat

Reusing Plastic Baby Food Containers

My friend gave me the rectangular ones when her little one started to eat that baby food too. I also use them for push pins, staples, batteries, hardware, small rubber bands, it is amazing they can be used for. (05/30/2009)

By LI Roe

If you have a baby in the home, keep the plastic Gerber food containers and use them to organize your home. They can hold toothpicks, pins, nails, screws, corn cob holders or pretty much anything that you could imagine.

They are also great for trips or vacations because you can pack Q-tips, cotton balls or other supplies in them and label the items too. You will find that they are easy to store in small places because they are flat on the top and oblong in shape, which allows them to stack neatly.

Your husband will also want them for sorting the screws, nails, washers, nuts etc. keeping the tool area neater too and they can be marked on the outside so guessing what is inside becomes easy.

Enjoy the tip and organizing will become easier, even for new parents.

By Cecilia from Wilmington, DE

Answers:

Reusing Plastic Baby Food Containers

I absolutely am crazy over these containers. Don't know anyone with babies in my area, but thankfully my boyfriend eats baby food for bodybuilding/nutrition reasons. I think it's funny, but whatever, I get "free" organizers for my craft supplies! (03/13/2009)

By Becca25

Reusing Plastic Baby Food Containers

I used to use swapbabygoods.com, it's a site that parents use to swap or sell their items. If you post an "ad" on the board about wanting those containers and what you have to swap or are willing to spend, you'll probably get a ton of offers! (03/13/2009)

By raelyn218

My daughter has been saving plastic baby food containers for me. I volunteer at a crisis nursery and I would like to have a craft project for preschool children with which I can use these containers. Anyone out there with ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Cindy from Berea, OH

Answers:

Crafty Uses For Plastic Baby Food Containers

You may try making play dough and using them for the containers. There are recipes for home made play dough. Diane (01/05/2007)

By brdldy

You could plant beans in them, and smush them against the outside edge with a paper towel so kids can see the roots and leaves grow. Or plant seeds and use the flowers for Mother's Day. (01/05/2007)

By Allison

What about making little "scenes" inside them? We did this with laundry soap scoops. Paint them inside and out and glue small things inside them. Be sure to fasten a hanger of some sort to the "end" of it. So they can be hung up if that what you want. We did ours with little Christmas tree scenes, nativity, and a little fireplace. I bet you could other things like for Easter and spring. The possibilities are endless. (01/07/2007)

By especielle

We have used them for many of the same reasons as last postings have, but also we made small coin holders for fake coins or real ones. Decorate the sides like a pot of gold for St. Patty's Day. We did this and put a slit in container with lid on bottom to get coins. For Valentine's Day we made hearts on side with treats inside.

You could do this for any holiday. I also am planning to use the lids for frames for mommy day pictures some how with lace on side or something. Everyday I save them, because left over food for my babies is perfect to make baby food for the next day, and for making my own yogurt containers. Kids love them for many treats. Good luck. Rain (04/23/2007)

By rains romper room

The plastic Gerber baby food containers are good for putting stool samples in if you are taking your pet to the vet. (11/15/2007)

By Treacy

Thanks for great ideas. I am a teacher and am going to try covering them in fabric and give them to Mom or Dad as gift boxes. (04/17/2008)

By Cora

They can be used as pacifier holders while on the go. When you are traveling on short vacation they can be used for shampoo/conditioner, shower soap, etc. (07/18/2008)

By JC

I keep children in my home and I have 2 of my own that are in school. I have been saving up and I am going to paint the containers (tops and all but not on the inside) fill them with candy and place a ribbon around them. Make them look like small presents. My children are going to pass them out to children in their class for their Christmas party at school. Hope this helps! (11/13/2008)

By Stacy

I use mine for coin banks, for my grandchildren. We used contact paper to decorate them, We also used the kind that looked like wood flooring to make a jewelry box for their Mom. It was a hit. I use them when I paint my doors and walls, the kind with a separate lid. The brush fits in easily and there is less mess. They are great for making car jewelry boxes for men, as well. Good for holding nuts and bolts. Also I use them for my laundry dryer sheets.

They are good for storing dry cat food, make sure they are washed and rinsed very good before using as food savers. When freezing use with a plastic bags. I use a Zip lock sandwich bag, fill with water 1/2 way, then freeze. Perfect for a boo boo, or to put into a cooler. Cut the tube off, old wore out socks, throw away the foot part. Soak the tube, ring out excess water. Then put into the Plastic Baby wipe containers. Put in freezer, perfect for ice on the ankles or wrist. I also put holes in bottom and start garden seeds. I keep empty ones in the car, with plastic bag for the kids for car sickness. Hope this helps, Ellen from TN (03/15/2009)

By ellensplace

Baby food now comes in plastic rectangular containers. These make great little reusable containers to pack in lunches! Perfect for raisins, dipping sauce, salad dressing the list goes on and on.

I have tons of the new babyfood plastic containers with covers on hand. Can anyone think of something I could do with them. Anything crafty? My hubby wants to use them for his screws and such. Any other suggestions would be great. I would love to do something crafty with them.