Uses for Rubber Bands

Rubber bands are helpful for a variety of things around the home and garden. This guide contains uses for rubber bands.

January 19, 2011 Flag

To keep tools from slipping in your hands, wrap those free rubber bands that come on vegetables or newspapers around the handle. It really makes for a good grip and sure a lot cheaper than the liquid you can buy for the purpose.

March 16, 2010 Flag

My fresh veggies at the grocery store often come with nice reusable rubber bands binding the produce. I save them and one helpful way I use them is: Slip them on your refillable drinking bottles/mugs. The metal sometimes gets slippery and this is the gripper and free at that.

Also, if more than one of you have the same bottle/mug (such as gifts, premiums) it is a way to know whose is whose! I also put the rubber band on my granddaughter's sippy cup to assist in the same way. She is less apt to drop it (church, etc) when her grip is firm, too! I just put the cup/mug into dishwasher and it stays on fine.

Source: Stood at the sink one day thinking.

By T and T Grandma from Benson, MN

What a great idea. I was saving them but had no idea what to use them for. So after reading your post I got to thinking. Shampoo and conditioner bottles are very slippery too. So viola I used the rubber bands on my shower bottles and it worked like a charm. No more bottles slipping, hitting my foot and me blindly trying to grab it. ;) Thanks for the tip!

Excellent idea. Be sure to take the band(s) off occasionally to check for mildew. Found it on my water bottle and have been checking each week.

I had been using that idea on my shampoo in the shower to mark which ones were the grandchildren's for 7 years, never thought to list that. I would use smaller bottles and fill them for the girls, so no labels on it, but the rubber bands. Also, my swimming shampoo and conditioner bottles in my gym bag have them on too, can't drop them that way at the pool, group shower room.

I found for the possible mold issue, as often as I get the veggie bands, there are always new ones, but my glasses/mugs with them on go in the dishwasher, bands and all. I do roll them down 1/2 inch or so to dry.

March 9, 2010 Flag

I've found that the small heavy rubber bands that come on bunches of Broccoli work perfectly to 'hold' the end of your tooth paste tube when you start to roll it up.

February 25, 2010 Flag

Single people, elderly, and disabled need not fear jars and bottles again. Also great for gripping doorknobs. Wrap one or more rubber bands around the cap. Wrap one or more rubber bands around the bulk of the product.

May 14, 2009 Flag

We keep all rubberbands that come into the house (on newspapers, vegetables, etc.) in a basket in the kitchen. We use these to hold bags closed - chips, rice, sugar, anything that can be kept in its original bag.

February 27, 2012 Flag

If you put two or three rubber bands on a child's cup you can prevent them from spilling drinks. The bands make it easier for them to hold it when the outside of the cup gets wet.

Rubberbands on Cups

December 2, 2014 Flag

I use those big thick rubber bands from vegetables for use on shower pipes to stop shower caddies sliding off of the shower pipe that holds the shower head. Works great!

May 20, 2009 Flag

Save the velcro wrap that comes on loose leaf lettuce, Swiss chard, boo choy, and other supermarket vegetables. Use them for tying up your vines or tomato plants. They won't harm the plant and they can be cut smaller.

May 20, 2009 Flag

Do you buy lettuce, broccoli and other vegetables in the supermarket? If so, you probably have noticed that some distributors wrap their vegetables with a green Velcro-like band. Well, save those bands! They make perfect ties for staking tall annuals, perennials and vegetable plants in your garden this summer. The best part is that you can adjust the size of the tie very easily as the plant grows, so you never have to worry that it's too tight. And as a bonus, they're green, so they blend right in to nature's color scheme.

By Lydia from Woodbridge, CT

Better Living Green Living AdviceJuly 13, 2012
Bottom of Rubber Boot
Removing Rubber Stains
Rubber Tree (Houseplant)
Growing a Rubber Tree (Houseplant)
A crafter using rubber stamps to decorate a handmade card.
Cleaning Rubber Stamps
Pile of Colorful Rubberbands
Using Rubber Bands to Make Stamps
🎉
🎄