Uses for Rubber Bands

Rubber bands are helpful for a variety of things around the home and garden. This guide contains uses for rubber bands.

Open boxes of partly used frozen foods can be a bit of a nuisance in the freezer. They become a difficult shape for storage as one end becomes flattened. Also food can fall out. Taking just one minute to fetch an elastic band and wrap it around the box to keep everything properly in place will save time and frustration later.

I sometimes use the rubber headbands you can get from the dollar tree for keeping my trash can bag inside. But for food, I learned a great way from working in restaurants for years.

When food is processed they put it in zipper bags and mark it. I go one step further and put it them into clear shoe boxes. I have them labeled Meat, Veggies, Fish, Fruit. They stack great and I can just reach in and grab what I want.

Hope that helps!

To keep tools from slipping in your hands, wrap those free rubber bands that come on vegetables or newspapers around the handle. It really makes for a good grip and sure a lot cheaper than the liquid you can buy for the purpose.

My fresh veggies at the grocery store often come with nice reusable rubber bands binding the produce. I save them and one helpful way I use them is: Slip them on your refillable drinking bottles/mugs. The metal sometimes gets slippery and this is the gripper and free at that.

Also, if more than one of you have the same bottle/mug (such as gifts, premiums) it is a way to know whose is whose! I also put the rubber band on my granddaughter's sippy cup to assist in the same way. She is less apt to drop it (church, etc) when her grip is firm, too! I just put the cup/mug into dishwasher and it stays on fine.

Source: Stood at the sink one day thinking.

By T and T Grandma from Benson, MN

Excellent idea. Be sure to take the band(s) off occasionally to check for mildew. Found it on my water bottle and have been checking each week.

I've found that the small heavy rubber bands that come on bunches of Broccoli work perfectly to 'hold' the end of your tooth paste tube when you start to roll it up.

Single people, elderly, and disabled need not fear jars and bottles again. Also great for gripping doorknobs. Wrap one or more rubber bands around the cap. Wrap one or more rubber bands around the bulk of the product.

We keep all rubberbands that come into the house (on newspapers, vegetables, etc.) in a basket in the kitchen. We use these to hold bags closed - chips, rice, sugar, anything that can be kept in its original bag.

Rubberbands on Cups

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 3

If you put two or three rubber bands on a child's cup you can prevent them from spilling drinks. The bands make it easier for them to hold it when the outside of the cup gets wet.

I use those big thick rubber bands from vegetables for use on shower pipes to stop shower caddies sliding off of the shower pipe that holds the shower head. Works great!

Do you buy lettuce, broccoli and other vegetables in the supermarket? If so, you probably have noticed that some distributors wrap their vegetables with a green Velcro-like band. Well, save those bands! They make perfect ties for staking tall annuals, perennials and vegetable plants in your garden this summer. The best part is that you can adjust the size of the tie very easily as the plant grows, so you never have to worry that it's too tight. And as a bonus, they're green, so they blend right in to nature's color scheme.

By Lydia from Woodbridge, CT