Uses for Shredded Paper

I'm looking for ideas on how to recycle shredded paper. My city does not accept it in their recycling program. I've considered using it for shipping packages, but it would make a big mess for the receiver.

Jean from Taylor, MI

Answers:

Uses for Shredded Paper

You could stuff pillows with them.(05/10/2007)

Uses for Shredded Paper

I am an art teacher and I LOVE to get shredded paper donations to use for stuffed paper art projects. Also good for other collage activities. Call your local elementary school!! (05/11/2007)

By Tracy

Uses for Shredded Paper

Do you compost your soil, makes great compost , Not the shiny paper tho, put the shredded paper around your plants outside for mulch. Do you have a bird in a cage, use it on the bottom of the cage. (05/11/2007)

By rosa

Uses for Shredded Paper

I work for our local Hallmark shop and I don't mind a bit when something is shipped with shredded paper. It is a lot better than the styrofoam peanuts. (05/11/2007)

By Heather

Uses for Shredded Paper

If you have a fireplace it can be used to build and then start a fire ,lay the shredded paper first , then add twigs, then wood. or fill paper bags or empty milk cartons to make fire bags/fire bricks to keep a fire going cheaply

Could be used in birds nesting boxes or for pet bedding

p>Could be added to the compost bin or for mulching plants or for insulating plants in cold weather

It really is acceptable for parcels and does a great job

With summer upon us almost, it would be received gratefully by charities /fairs who do outdoor lucky dips in a barrel at events

It can be used to line gift baskets and bags

(05/12/2007)

By cazpumpkin

Uses for Shredded Paper

Local animal shelters and animal petstores often use this as bedding / floor coverings. maybe see if any are interested? (05/22/2007)

By Cathy.Hossen

Uses for Shredded Paper

I stuff torn pantyhose and knee highs with shredded paper, spray with Febreze and stuff this into my kids' stinky sneakers! (06/01/2007)

By Sandy

Uses for Shredded Paper

On the down side (sorry) Earwigs, silverfish and many other insects love paper. It absolutely cannot get wet, as it grows mold quickly. Composting is good if you are a disciplined turner, and using it for mulch is also good but the same rules apply. FYI (08/13/2007)

By Mary

Uses for Shredded Paper

People sometimes make mistake when they say they don't accept shredded paper for recycling. Sometimes used paper IS on their list of items they recycle, but they interpret "shredded paper" as something different from plain paper. As paper is recycled by shredding and mixing into a pulp anyway, they should accept it as paper. This is a common misunderstanding -- paper is the most commonly recycled material.

Most standard uses are already explained, so I'll add some details. If used for packaging, the items packaged can be sealed in a plastic bag to keep the paper dust away. Alternatively, shredded paper can be packed into small plastic bags sealed with a thermal sealer, and use these for packaging. Papier mache can be made easily if You own a blender with strong blades (a combo machine, for example). More complex uses involve mixing it with some sort of low-cost glue and some preservative (e.g. salicylate) and pressing it into panels that can be used for construction -- it provides good thermal insulation. Commercial methods involve silicate-based glues, rendering the material fireproof. It can also be pressed into small bricks while adding some molten fatty fuel (longer hydrocarbon chain -- solid at room temperature). The paper acts as a "wick," the fat burns, so the bricks can be used as fuel. (08/25/2007)

By Koolio

Uses for Shredded Paper

I use it in my worm composting bin. They love it and then the castings are great for the garden, house plants, even as a type of fertilizer for your yard. (10/17/2007)

By carrolmick

Uses for Shredded Paper

I love all these ideas, I volunteer at a rescue mission and am trying to see if we could sell shredded paper at our thrift store. Thank You. (11/16/2007)

By Martha

Uses for Shredded Paper

Shredded paper is really useful to make papasan chairs. All you have to do is get a trash bag and fill with shredded paper. Then staple colorful paper on the outside of trash bag. You can even staple on some leather fringe for a fun country western look. (01/08/2008)

By Keel

Uses for Shredded Paper
Shredded Paper
Making Shredded Paper for Crafts
Uses for Shredded Paper, shredded paper
Uses for Shredded Paper
Waste Bin Full of Shredded Paper
Recycling Shredded Paper
Shredded cabbage
Uses for Bagged Shredded Cabbage
🎉
🎄