Uses for Silk Scarves

My mother left me with about 25 or so silk and like silk square scarves. Any ideas what I should do with them. I can't throw them out.

Thanks,
Kathie from South Portland, ME

Answers:

Uses for Silk Scarves

Sounds like a perfect memory quilt or pillows maybe. I have seen them used as a valance on small windows several overlapping like upside down triangles. Or maybe you could embroider, or have it done, messages or notes of memories on them then give them to friends and family members for Christmas. A nice treasure. Hope this helps. (02/12/2007)

By Designersheets

Uses for Silk Scarves

Maybe use as doilies, or along the same lines as the previous post drape around a picture frame of a painting or a print that coordinates with the scarves. (02/12/2007)

By Tamisuemcp

Uses for Silk Scarves

My mom and I made a quilt for my grandma with scarves and handkerchiefs like this. We laid them out on a twin bed sized piece of white flannel in a "crazy quilt" pattern. We overlapped, folded, rearranged to make all the pieces fit, without cutting. We used different zigzag stitches to tack them all down, but you could stitch by hand, too. I made a quilted backing and my mom stitched the two pieces together with a lacy crochet stitch. (02/12/2007)

By thriftyboo

Uses for Silk Scarves

I made a beautiful coverlet for my day bed out of my grandmother "handkerchiefs.
also:

• you could sew them end to end, and them braid them together to make a belt.
  • you could use them to line a gift basket or gift bag.
  • you could "wrap" a small gift in them.
  • you could donate them to a retirement home.
  • if you use compact fluorescent light bulbs which do not give off heat, you could drape one over a lampshade for a nice lighting effect.
  • you could use one to store silver jewelry or silverware in so it doesn't tarnish as quickly.
  • you could use them as elegant dinner napkins for special occasions.
  • you could make slipcovers for decorative pillows.
(02/14/2007)

By Debbie from SC

Uses for Silk Scarves

Perhaps you could use them as backing for a memory board, or weave them together for decorating chair backs or adding color to chair seats. (02/14/2007)

By b_bragg

Uses for Silk Scarves

They have not been in fashion for ages, so it is probably time for these scarves to become the very latest new craze. Hang on there, keep them for a little while longer and your daughters and nieces will be begging you for them. (02/15/2007)

By Julia

Uses for Silk Scarves

I know this sounds weird, but it really works. When I put on a turtleneck, I put a silk scarf over my head and face to prevent makeup from getting on it. I do the same thing to take the turtleneck off, but I stuff the ends down inside the neck. The turtleneck slides right on and off with no makeup on it. (01/24/2008)

By Guest

Uses for Silk Scarves
Recycle Sweaters into Scarves
Recycling Sweaters into Scarves
Golden silk fabric
Cleaning Silk
Pillows covered with scarves.
Craft Uses for Old Scarves
Green Scarf
Organizing Scarves
🎉
🎄