Would everyone mind giving me some suggestions on things to use my used dryer sheets for?
By Cricket from Parkton, NC
I use the used dryer sheets for dusting off the front of my TV screen and other electronics.
Stuck on food comes off easily when soaked overnight with a dryer sheet. I also use it to clean the inside of my microwave. Wet the sheet, scrub off the yucky stuck on mess, then rinse with clean dish rag and clear water.
I use liquid fabric softener now, Cricket, but I used to use the used ones for dusting or as small cleaning rags when washing the bathroom sink, bathtub, desk, etc. You can also hand wash them after those uses and use again until they fall apart. :-)
You would be better off just to throw them away. Please, at least, do not use them around pets or children. I submitted a post on this subject last year. The gist of it is: Dryer sheets contain loads of toxic chemicals, such as benzyl acetate, benzyl alcohol, and chloroform, among others, some of which the manufacturers don't have to reveal to the public. Some of these chemicals cause the softening and others are used to perfume the sheets to give them their "lovely" aromas.
These chemicals cause liver damage, hormone disruption, nervous system problems, cancer and other serious or chronic health problems. Humans should not expose themselves to these toxins, let alone their pets or children, who are prone to licking everything or putting things in their mouths, an even more direct and more toxic method of exposure than through the skin.
The link for the entire post is: http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf29225487.tip.html
There a lots of things that are good to re-use, but dryer sheets are not among them. I stopped using them years ago, because instinct told me there was something unsafe about them. Just a word to the wise. Be safe, be careful.
I agree w/Pixiedust! Just stop using them altogether! You won't miss them. Yeah, you might have the occasional "staticky" garment but at least you won't be coating your bed sheets and clothing with toxic chemicals. All that stuff is right next to your skin and being inhaled as well. You can put a cupful of white vinegar in your wash. That is supposed to help.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!