Using A Featherbed Topper

Adding a feather bed topper to your bed can make it much more comfortable. Feather bed toppers not only make the bed softer but help regulate your body temperature in warm and cool conditions. This is a guide about using a featherbed topper.

I have a feather mattress as well as feather pillows. Any suggestions on getting the feather mattress to actually stay on the bed? It slides off during the night.

Jen from Central Florida

Answer Was this helpful? 1

You could try getting the non-slip matting that is put under area rugs and putting it between the feather mattress and the rest of the bed.

Try putting the feather bed under the mattress pad or the sheet. With the new extra deep pocketed expandable sheets and pads you shouldn't have any problems. Use corner garters under mattress to keep sheets in place if necessary. You can find them by the bedding sections of most stores. When you change your sheets make sure to fluff and rotate your feather bed to keep from putting a body dent in it. Good luck.

I have put the feather mattress under a mattress pad and under a sheet. It doesn't work. It still moves almost off of the bed. Thanks though.

Try velcro on the 4 corners. I use velcro on everything in my motorhome and nothing moves.

I also have a feather bed. It has elastic on each corner.

My Dad lives with me and this perplexing problem. I ended up using a strip of vented style shelf liner (not shelf paper) between his mattress and box-spring. I think they also use it in RV's to prevent dishes and such from rattling as you go down the road, you put a piece between the stacked dishes.

I have tryed non slip mats extra deep pockets under sheets under mattress pads garters fluffing turning over fliping over egg creats trying not to move , still off the bed.

Please tell me about feather beds, the under sheets, the over sheets and how to clean.

Thanks for any help!

Sandra

I have called 4 dry cleaners and they won't clean my feather bed,a dn 3 commercial laundormats won;t do it or let me use their machines! I don't want to get rid of it! The only reason I have ot celan it is because my puppy had an accident on the bed!

My mom got me a feather bed for my bed and i let my nephew sleep on my bed to take his nap . We also are potty training him so he wet the bed and it went on to my feather bed. So how do i get it out i need help plz!!

I just bought a featherbed and I'm not sure whether to put it under the mattress pad, under the bottom fitted sheet or on top of it....any suggestions?

can i use a feather bed on top of a water bed mattress

Does the feather bed go on top of the fitted sheet or underneath. and also do you need to buy a special case protector.

I have a feather mattress topper and would like to have it cleaned. It costs more to have it cleaned at the cleaners than it costs to buy it from the store. example:$38.00 to buy and $45.00 to have it cleaned proffessionally. Are there any methods of cleaning it at home? Please let me know.

The pee soaked through the sheets, soaked through the feather topper, and soaked into the mattress. I found something on how to clean it out of the mattress with just vinegar and baking soda but on here all of you are just saying put it in the wash if it's a pillow or take it to the dry cleaners or buy the cover, but it's too late for the cover and I can't afford the dry cleaners and my washing machine is small. What do I do?

Editor's Note: You could try hydrogen peroxide on the spots. Once it has soaked in well, use a wet/dry vacuum and vacuum it as well as possible to get all of the liquid out. You could also take the pillow top to a laundromat where they have large machines.

I've had many spills and accidents on my featherbeds over the years. I use borax to clean mine. I sprinkle borax over the "spot", then spray it with a spray bottle filled with water. I then scrub the wet borax around on the spot and let it dry. I repeat the spray, scrub process a few times and let it dry completely, then vaccum off the borax. It will remove all smell from the feather bed and most stains. Putting a large feather bed in your washer can literally ruin your washer as it is just too heavy when wet. It can be cleaned at a laundromat if they have the big machines, again, I would use borax to remove all smell.

How do you use a featherbed? Do you use it over the mattress cover or put the cover over the feather bed?

Lois

I bought a featherbed a couple of years ago, i just put the featherbed on the bare mattress, then put the mattress cover on the featherbed mattress, then wen't ahead and made up the bed as desired. Featherbeds are tricky, they can cause sooo much back pain if you already have a troubled back as i do, that is why i bought the featherbed in the first place. it is much better to use a memory foam mattress pad, they last alot longer, and don't bunch up like the featherbed. Good luck with it, be sure to put some sort of protective barrier on the featherbed as they tend to smell if they get wet. you can get a generic memory foam from overstock.com very, very reasonably

I guess either way will work, but I put the featherbed on top of the mattress cover so each time I change the sheets, I can fluff up the featherbed. And contrary to the other poster, my back pain went away when we got the featherbed. So I guess everyone is different.

I use my feather bed on top of the mattress and put the bottom sheet on top. It is wonderful! So comfy in the winter :-)

Jennifer

Northern Virginia

I agree featherbeds are great,but i am very sensitive to smell and I can smell the feathers even if it has not gotten wet. I would put it under the fitted sheet to help it stay in place if it fits right it shouldnt move to much i would think, but i don't actually own one just sleep on one when visiting my mother-in-law.

I have been looking at how to cover a featherbed so I won't have to smash it down with the fitted sheet and found out that the company that makes my heavenly linen sheets in Hong Kong will custom make me a cover (out of natural flax linen) for the featherbed I am looking at. They will do this for a very, very excellent price. I am so excited! They are called Linenshed.

I have a Ralph Lauren featherbed topper. Some of the gussets are flat after 2 years of use. How do I rejuvenate it?

By WHITY65 from Houston, TX

Depending on the care instructions for it and how big it is, I would put it in the dryer with some tennis balls. That works when fluffing up down jackets. If it's too big for your dryer, check out a laundromat. Those dryer are pretty big.

I have a ralph lauren feather topper too, and it got flat. I finally decided to wash it, in the washer. I crammed it in. When it was done, I was a little scared. I then put it in the dryer until it was mostly dry. I then laid it out on my bed. Adjusting/fluffing where necessary. I have done this a few times over the last 6 years. It works great!

I had one years ago that I just simply shook out to refluff and sent to the cleaners once every few years.

I just purchased a featherbed and I have a problem with the feathers coming out thru the material. not only is this getting messy, it is making it difficult to sleep on, as the stalks are poking me in the legs. Does anyone out there have any suggestions for me?

Thanking you in advance,

Lori from CA

Target Sells a mattress pad that will completely cover the mattress it zips around it after you slide it in. It is designed to keep dust mites away from you etc. It will offer some assistance with the feathers. When purchasing a "feather bed" you get the whole feather and will always have this problem. Best to purchase "down" then the fluff is all you get. Much more expensive.

I would approach the store you bought it from. When I was small we always had feather pillows and a feather bed which never shed feathers as the covers were of very fine weave to prevent this. I recently bought 2 feather pillows in Woolworths, (in Australia) and within 2 weeks the feathers were prickling through the cover which was obviously inadequate for the job. I returned the pillows and got a full refund. If the bed cover is not able to keep the feathers inside it is not made of appropriate material and you should return it and get a refund.

Regards

Jo

I had the same problem. I found that an extra sheet over the featherbead, i.e. 2 bottom sheets did the trick.

My mother n law bought me and my husband 4 feather and down pillows for our bed. The feathers are coming out also.When we go to sleep at night they poke us and when i go to wash everything on my bed i take the pillows out of the cases and there are pillows everywhere so messy! I am gonna go and buy just down pillows.