Using Applesauce Instead of Oil

Does it have to be unsweetened applesauce when you use applesauce to replace oil in a recipe? Will regular applesauce work just as well?

By Jillard95 from Chicago, IL

Answers:

Using Applesauce Instead of Oil

I've used regular old apple sauce. Replace the same amount of oil with it in the recipe. (09/08/2009)

By Corene

Using Applesauce Instead of Oil

Yes, of course, but reduce the sugar you use in the recipe. If your trying to remove fat, then adding more sugar just doesn't make sense. Good job looking after yourself. :) (09/08/2009)

By quiltmum

Using Applesauce Instead of Oil

I use applesauce instead of oil all the time. When I first started doing this, I only replaced 1/2 the oil, to get my family accustomed to it. Then I started slowly replacing more and more until I did not have to use oil anymore. Using applesauce, does give the cake a little different consistency than oil. I would not suggest to use all applesauce in a brownie recipe. Substitute 1/2 and 1/2. (09/10/2009)

By monnat96

Using Applesauce Instead of Oil

Yes, I use a standard chocolate cake mix which calls for 1/2 cup of oil, I replace the oil with 1 cup unsweetened apple sauce, use skim milk in place of water, add 4 heaping tbsp of unsweetened cocoa powder, 3 eggs. also I use fat and sugar free chocolate pudding made with skim milk(as frosting). the cake is rich and wonderful and fat free :) enjoy!
~Ter! (10/13/2009)

By Ter!

Applesauce with Pork Roast
Recipes Using Applesauce
Applesauce
Applesauce Bar Recipes
Canning Applesauce
Canning Applesauce
Applesauce Raisin Cake with Butter Cream Icing
Applesauce Raisin Cake Recipe
🎉
🎄