Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Using Applesauce Instead of Oil

One way to reduce the fats in our diet is to replace oil with applesauce in certain recipes. Keep in mind the the taste and texture of the finished recipe can be noticeably different. This page contains some thoughts on using applesauce instead of oil in recipes.

March 7, 2011 Flag

Can applesauce by substituted for oil in all recipes?

By lkon

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Maybe not all, but it works great in cakes and I have been meaning to try it in cornbread, but not done it. One of the best cakes I ever made was a cheap box of cake mix and cake frosting from a dollar store and I replaced the oil with applesauce and used egg white instead of whole eggs. It was incredibly moist. My picky mother claimed she could "taste" the applesauce, but I noticed no difference and the cake remained marvelously moist for days. Oh, also, I did use baby sauce applesauce which probably has less sugar and of course, is ultra-fine in consistency.

It can but I would just as soon not have a piece of cake made with it. I can taste the difference and I don't lik it. Per piece, the oil and applesauce only have a few calories difference so why ruin the taste of the cake.

Well, if you're asking regarding baked goods I would think it would be okay for many, many recipes but I definitely wouldn't take the chance of ruining any general meal recipes by switching out the oil with applesauce which would certainly change the flavor outcome!

Keep in mind that substituting applesauce in baking also changes the way a recipe behaves structurally.

I've used applesauce in place of oil for years and never really noticed a difference in taste, but from now on, I plan to use melted butter instead of oil. The only oil I buy anymore is olive oil, and I doubt it would taste good in cakes.

Recently, I made a brownie mix using black beans. (Google black bean brownies.) It made a fudgie brownie, and my husband said they were the best brownies he'd ever had. Maybe someday I'll use black beans instead of oil or applesauce in chocolate cake.

March 25, 2011 Flag

Do I use the same amount of applesauce as I would oil in baking a cake?

By Nina

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Yes, it is one for one. It's best for cakes and muffins, doesn't work as well for cookies, unless they are soft cookies. You might want to add a little less sugar, since applesauce is sweet. Also try half applesauce half oil the first time to see if you like it. You can also use plum apple baby food.

Yes, my daughter does that. Her cakes taste flat and awful. I don't even bother to eat a piece. The amount of oil in a slice of cake is small when you consider only a fourth cup goes into the whole cake.

March 25, 2011 Flag

To cut down on calories, I use applesauce in cakes and other goodies. The applesauce is a substitute for oil and makes the cake or goody you are making more moist. So by using applesauce not only are you cutting calories, you are also making a moister cake.

By Gem from VA

Answers:

Substitute Applesauce for Oil in Baking

I have been doing this for many years. (10/04/2010)

By redhatterb

Substitute Applesauce for Oil in Baking

My daughter does this and I hate her cakes. If you take the amount of oil and divide it into the number of slices in the cake, you will find you are getting very little oil. Compared to the sugar in the apple sauce there is not enough difference in calories to make much difference. (10/05/2010)

By Lilac

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 7, 2011 Flag

How much applesauce do you use instead of oil in a recipe?

By Linda from WV

Answers:

Using Applesauce Instead of Oil

I have used cup for cup, but the cake mix and brownie mix baked up very, very light and spongy. Not terrible, but you could tell that I didn't use any oil. The texture did change. The brownies didn't come out all fudgy and chewy which is how I like them, but I also like fitting into my jeans.

I think 2/3 cup is good - have done that before and things bake up a little more normal. I have heard you can use prune 'filling' actually I don't know what it is, but it's also called 'Lekvar' by certain nationalities. You can find it easily in the canned pie filling section of the baking aisle in the grocery store.

I've always wanted to use it, but never have. I did read, though, that you cannot taste prunes in the final product. Fiber? I would imagine it would add some in the way of a laxative effect, but have directly spoken with anyone who used it.

I've heard you can use plain pumpkin pie fruit - not pumpkin pie filling'. Also with no taste in the finished goods. (06/13/2010)

By metroplex

Using Applesauce Instead of Oil

My daughter does that and I'll be honest, I would just as soon not have cake if I have to eat it that way. If you take the amount of oil you should use and divide it with the number of pieces in the cake, you aren't really getting much.

You still need to subtract the oil calories and add the applesauce calories to get the true difference and it really isn't that much. You still have the carbs and sugar of the cake so why not add the oil and enjoy a piece of cake once in a while. I never eat my daughter's cake. I'd rather have something else like a piece of fruit. (06/15/2010)

By Lilac

Using Applesauce Instead of Oil

When I do this, I never replace more than half of the measurement called for. I sometimes use the little snack size cups. If the recipe calls for a cup of oil, I'll use a snack cup of applesauce and then make up the difference with oil (canola). (06/15/2010)

By ahastings7878

Using Applesauce Instead of Oil

Someone in a much earlier post mentioned using prunes. I've done this. I found a lowfat bran muffin recipe (that I've since lost) years back in a Shape magazine and, instead of oil they used baby food prunes. I works awesome, makes a very moist muffin, cupcake or cake. You would seriously never notice a difference in texture.

I found a low fat chocolate cupcake recipe using 1/3 cup cinnamon apple sauce and a Tbsp of oil. I replaced the oil with one jar of baby food prunes and they are wonderful, very moist and yummy. You can also use mayonnaise with very good results although that can be high fat too, depending on the mayo. I have a mayonnaise cake recipe and used a very low fat eggless mayo with very good results

Racquelle (06/28/2010)

By Racquelle

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 4, 2010 Flag

When doing all your holiday baking, try substituting 1/2 the oil called for in the recipe with the same amount of applesauce. The result will be more nutritious, moister, and less costly. The taste will not be affected.

By Anne from Green Bay, WI

Answers:

Use Applesauce In Holiday Baking

I have been substituting applesauce for oil in baked goods for years and it works wonderfully! (12/02/2008)

By hostapartyonline

Use Applesauce In Holiday Baking

I do this often too. It even works with bread baked from scratch. But make sure you use UNsweetened! (12/02/2008)

By waxghost

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 12, 2010 Flag

I just made low fat brownies from mix, with some chopped pecans added, by substituting 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce in place of 2/3 cup oil. A little different texture, but they are good. Cuts down on fat consumption.

By Ivy from Porter, TX

Answers:

Using Applesauce Instead of Oil

I find in just substituting a little bit of the applesauce with oil, it doesn't change the texture. (02/24/2010)

By lgintrnj

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 22, 2010 Flag

Does it have to be unsweetened applesauce when you use applesauce to replace oil in a recipe? Will regular applesauce work just as well?

By Jillard95 from Chicago, IL

Answers:

Using Applesauce Instead of Oil

I've used regular old apple sauce. Replace the same amount of oil with it in the recipe. (09/08/2009)

By Corene

Using Applesauce Instead of Oil

Yes, of course, but reduce the sugar you use in the recipe. If your trying to remove fat, then adding more sugar just doesn't make sense. Good job looking after yourself. :) (09/08/2009)

By quiltmum

Using Applesauce Instead of Oil

I use applesauce instead of oil all the time. When I first started doing this, I only replaced 1/2 the oil, to get my family accustomed to it. Then I started slowly replacing more and more until I did not have to use oil anymore. Using applesauce, does give the cake a little different consistency than oil. I would not suggest to use all applesauce in a brownie recipe. Substitute 1/2 and 1/2. (09/10/2009)

By monnat96

Using Applesauce Instead of Oil

Yes, I use a standard chocolate cake mix which calls for 1/2 cup of oil, I replace the oil with 1 cup unsweetened apple sauce, use skim milk in place of water, add 4 heaping tbsp of unsweetened cocoa powder, 3 eggs. also I use fat and sugar free chocolate pudding made with skim milk(as frosting). the cake is rich and wonderful and fat free :) enjoy!
~Ter! (10/13/2009)

By Ter!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Can applesauce be used instead of oil in cake mixes and box brownies? And if so, how much? Thanks!

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.

Applesauce with Pork Roast
Recipes Using Applesauce
Food and Recipes Food Tips SubstitutionsMarch 1, 2017
A bowl of applesauce.
Applesauce Pancakes
Applesauce
Applesauce Bar Recipes
Canning Applesauce
Canning Applesauce
Applesauce
Applesauce Salad Recipe
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 24, 2017 at 5:23:17 AM on 10.0.0.228 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.