Using Baking Soda and Vinegar on Carpet

What would happen if I used baking soda and white vinager on my carpet to get out stains? Would this work or would it damage my carpet?

Candace from Houston, TX

Answers:

Using Baking Soda and Vinegar on Carpet

Bad idea. All Stains have a pH depending on what caused them. Call a local carpet cleaner (IICRC certified) and tell them what caused it and they should be able to give you advice.

In general, you can use

• 1 cup warm water
  • 1 tsp powder laundry soap (bleach free of course)
Dampen a clean white towel with mix and BLOT (not scrub). use a shop vac of any vacuum that can take liquids to get the water out. flush with a bit of water and repeat. Do not use for coffee, tea, red wine, or animal urine.

I worked as a carpet cleaner for five years and have seen the result of vinegar/BS in the carpet, generally way too strong for a carpet. Call the pros they should give free advice. (03/30/2007)

By GUEST

Using Baking Soda and Vinegar on Carpet

I use white vinegar on stains on my carpets or you could use 3M scotch guard cleaner available in aerosol cans from big box stores. Both work equally well. (03/30/2007)

By Dean

Using Baking Soda and Vinegar on Carpet

Might bleach out the carpet color. (03/30/2007)

By

Using Baking Soda and Vinegar on Carpet

I met the owner of a maid service who said they use bleach/water on all white carpets, vinegar/water on some stains, and Club Soda on spilled drinks, and for the worst stains like a "piggy trail", they used OxyClean, rinsing many times and wearing gloves/rain boots, all successfully. : ) (03/31/2007)

By Lynda

Using Baking Soda and Vinegar on Carpet

I have had pet stains and grape juice stains on carpet. Usually, I spray first with Professional Spot Shot (found at Sam's Club) and wipe with damp cloth. Once the stain is damp, I sprinkle some Borax on and rub in to the stain. After it dries, I vacuum the powder right out. This has removed odors as will as the "grape" color from my carpet successfully.

(04/02/2007)

By Krystyna

Using Baking Soda and Vinegar on Carpet
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet, Upclose photo of carpet.
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet
Inflating Balloon During Balloon Experiment
Blowing up a Balloon with Baking Soda and Vinegar
Vinegar Bottle
Removing Vinegar Smell from Carpet
🎄