Using Baking Soda for Odors

Category Odors
A box of baking soda.
Bicarbonate of soda is useful to control odors, as well as for cleaning. This guide is about using baking soda for odors.

Want to keep your whole house smelling sweet, especially closets, bathrooms, garage, laundry room, etc.? I keep approximately one half cup of baking soda in a container (box, baby food jar, or bowl) with holes punched in top of container when needed, and put them around the house. After 3 months I refill them and use the old soda in trash can, garbage disposal, washing clothes, or down the drains.

By Sharon - Belair, MD

How can I use baking soda to get rid of milk odors in my car?

Meryem from Nevsehir, Turkey

If it's in the carpet or upholstery cover the area with baking soda(it takes quite a bit) and let sit overnight. Vacuum the next day. If the smell is throughout your car put an open bag of charcoal in your car/trunk for several days. Good luck, I know from experience what a sickening odor that is!

I had a gallon of milk (all of it) spill on the carpet of my car. I tried everything to get the odor out. Finally i remembered that white vinegar will remove just about any protein odor. I emptied a 1/2 gallon of the vinegar onto the carpet (I was desperate...it was summer) swished it around a bit, rolled down all the car windows and waited. The next day...no odor! and the carpet was dry by that evening.

Is cleaning with a baking soda and water combination to prevent odor a proven method?

By Jeffrey

Baking soda is a good deodorizer. It works well in fridges and in many other places. It is not foolproof, and may not work on horrible odors like sour milk in a car left in the sun. Or rotten fish. But it is a good place to start. What are you cleaning?