Using Bleach as a Weed Killer

Can you tell me about bleach as a weed killer?

David

Answers:

Using Bleach as a Weed Killer

Bleach is extremely toxic and should not be used on plants or weeds. Use vinegar instead. It will kill all the toughest weeds except things like blackberry vines. Just dump it straight on the weeds, making sure you get it down into the roots. If you have a lot to do it might take 2 or 3 gallons. I just used 2 gallons today on my weeds. (06/20/2007)

By Mythi

Using Bleach as a Weed Killer

I have never used bleach, but have used salt. I have used it in between sidewalk blocks and under fence. It will kill grass, but is not a poison as so many of the weed and grass killers are. (06/20/2007)

By Graycrab

Using Bleach as a Weed Killer

Please don't! Both bleach and salt are long-lasting pollutants that do reach the groundwater. Try a flame weeder, a long torch that cooks the weed by boiling the juices in it. Very fun, actually, and teenage boys have been known to ask to do this chore. You don't have to dry up and burn the weed, just turn it into seaweed with it. They are cheap to use and organic, perfect for driveways and walkways where weeds come up through gravel or concrete.

I got this idea by reading Ann Lovejoy on organic landscaping. The ultimate solution is barriers, like deep gravel or bark over a layer of black plastic or thick newspaper. If weeds are coming up through your gravel, then double the depth of the gravel. (06/21/2007)

By Kim from WA

My husband and I cleaned the weeds off the fence line and put them on a burn pile. I didn't know what sumack looked like and put that on the burn pile and I became covered in blisters! Allergic reaction! I was blistered for 2 weeks!! Bad idea burning weeds in and around your yard.

Bleach is very effective. I use 8oz per gallon in a sprayer on an RV pad. Weeds don't return as quickly as with commercial killers. Wish the gov't got their hands out of my poisons so I could use the stuff I bought 20 years ago that would destroy everything in the treated ground for three or four years.

Gloved hand using a spray bottle to spray a week growing in a driveway crack
Using Bleach as a Weed Killer
Homemade Weed Killer Recipes
Homemade Weed Killer Recipes
Bleach Bottle on White Background
Crafts Using Bleach Bottles
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Yellow Bleach Stains in a Plastic Bathtub
Ants on the wall of a house.
Homemade Ant Killer Recipes
🎉
🎄