Using Broccoli Stems

How many of us have cooked broccoli florets and simply thrown away the stems? Instead, slice those stems in a food processor and store in the refrigerator and/or freeze to use in salads or soups and casseroles!

Source: Trying to find ways to stretch the food budget and not be wasteful :-)

By Deeli from Richland, WA

Answers:

Using Broccoli Stems

Great in all soups especially cream of broccoli, stir fry, for crunchiness, to serve with dips and many other things! I can't believe anyone would be crazy enough to actually throw them away! (07/21/2009)

By Cyinda

Using Broccoli Stems

The stems are my favorite part of the broccoli. Peel off the outer woody layer and they are great steamed or raw. Years ago, I told a friend about this and she later said that she and her son had started eating the stems raw while the rest of the broccoli was cooking. (07/22/2009)

By Dacula

Using Broccoli Stems

Use the stems for a crunchy bit in your broccoli dishes, also use the leaves and stems in your greens, very, very healthy for you. You can peel the stems for a nice stick in your raw crudites. If chopped small, they will cook just fine. (07/22/2009)

By bailey36

Using Broccoli Stems

One more way, chop fine for crunch in egg or chicken salad. I love them peeled and sliced and cooked with the florets, actually prefer to the florets, but if I don't have any celery I find that broccoli stems or even cauliflower chopped fine work just as well in salads. (07/22/2009)

By Jeneene

Two heads of broccoli.
Saving Money on Broccoli
Red amaranth flowers.
Growing Amaranth
Frozen broccoli pieces on a plate.
Freezing Broccoli
Growing Broccoli, Storing Broccoli, Canning Broccoli
Growing Broccoli
Broccoli Rabe
Recipes Using Broccoli Rabe
🎉
🎄