Using Canned Vegetables

Category Vegetables
Vegetables canned at home.
Canned vegetables can be a convenient side dish, or addition to soups and stews. This is a guide about using canned vegetables.

A lot of recipes call for onions, peppers, and tomatoes. This means buying those veggies, and they are all more expensive all the time. One pepper can cost well over $1! Next, it takes all that time spent chopping and cooking them.

Well, I've switched to using canned stewed tomatoes instead. I sometimes find them cheaper than plain canned tomatoes! The only chopping I do is chopping up the big pieces of tomato, and that takes a minute or less. I just use the same amount of stewed tomatoes as regular. When the recipe calls for tomatoes and hot peppers, a can of Rotel, or one of Rotel, and one of stewed does the job.

Another great conveniance is that you can have several cans on the shelf - no trips to the store just to buy the needed peppers, which don't last long in the fridge at all. This makes dinner prep cheaper, a lot easier, and a lot faster - Win win win!

Instead of draining tomatoes and other canned foods in a strainer, which I then have to wash, I punch a hole in the top of the can with a church-key can opener. It's easy and efficient.

By fossil1955 from Cortez, CO

As expensive as canned vegetables have gotten, I find it better to buy one super large can and divide portions into small size zip bags for freezing. I then am very happy with the ease of bag boiling my veggie (I have only done this with corn so far) and even better, I can pack it in whatever size portion I need!

By Veronica from Sedalia, MO

I have accumulated many canned foods. There is a great variation in quality between brands and types of cans used (some with metal liners, some with white-coated liners). I am suspicious of any metals or coatings leeching into the canned contents, and there is usually a lot of sodium. So, rinse, rinse, rinse!

If there is an off-taste, contact the manufacturer and maybe they will send you complementary coupons for your dissatisfaction; and don't hesitate to throw out that can of food and try a better or different can. So many commercial canned foods taste terrible. I recently tossed some green beans, then opened some of a different brand and they were wonderful in flavor after rinsing.

By Mary K. from Kensington, MD

When you open a can of tuna, vegetables or even fruits, empty the contents of the can into a strainer and rinse under running water for up to 5 minutes before adding them to a recipe. This cuts out lot of the salt and sugars added to canned foods. I love canned tuna and fruit cocktail but am on a restricted diet. This lets me enjoy the foods I love while worrying about the extra salt and sugar found in cans.

Source: my doctor

By Susan from WV

I often find canned veggies too salty and canned baked beans too sweet, so I keep a medium-sized hand strainer near my sink and when I open them I pour them into the strainer and rinse them off thoroughly. Then I pour them into my saucepan and add about 1/3 can of water. The veggies taste fresher and the baked beans remake a less sweet, but thick sauce.