Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Using Cast Iron Pan on Glass Top Stoves

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Glass Top Stove

There are some restrictions noted for the types of cookware you can safely use on your glass top stove. This is a guide about using cast iron pan on glass top stoves.

Here are questions related to Using Cast Iron Pan on Glass Top Stoves.

Question: Using Cast Iron Pan on Glass Top Stoves

Can you use a cast iron skillet on these new fancy stoves?

By Joanie

Most Recent Answer

By Sally [15]01/24/2012

I have used my cast iron pans on my glass topped stove for 20 years. They cook wonderfully on it.

Question: Using Cast Iron on a Ceramic Cooktop

Can I use cast iron skillets on a glass top stove?

By Grace from Danville, WV

Most Recent Answer

By Dean01/10/2011

My local appliance dealer says that the new appliances are designed to last for 10 years. That being said, I've used cast iron on my glass cooktop for at least 9 years almost every day. No problems and I have a variety of pans including a 16 inch cast iron pan and a griddle that uses two burners and the bridge burner. I am moving and have a new GE glass top. I intend to continue using cast iron. Just be careful and don't slide or twist your pans and in my honest opinion you'll be okay.

Solutions: Using Cast Iron Pan on Glass Top Stoves

Do you have knowledge about this guide topic? Feel free to share a solution!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Using Cast Iron on a Ceramic Cooktop

Can I use cast iron cookware on my ceramic cook top?

By quiltnmemaw from Sheridan, WY

RE: Using Cast Iron on a Ceramic Cooktop

No, it will make clean up a very big job. I tried it, and it took a long time to clean the stove. I got an electric hot plate to use with cast iron. I use the cast iron to bake with. It does a very good job. (09/10/2009)

By kffrmw88

I don't see why not. My lady cooks all the time with a cast iron frying pan on our glass top stove with no harmful results. One thing we have to clean is the over spill. (09/10/2009)

By foxrun41

I have used a cast iron frying pan on my ceramic cook top for the past three and a half years with no problems at all. I wouldn't use any other kind of frying pan. (09/13/2009)

By irisbird

I use mine all the time, with no problems. Clean-up is no harder than with my regular cookware. You just have to be careful not to drop the pan/skillet since it is so heavy. And you have to pick it up and not slide it to another burner or it may scratch the cook-top. (09/14/2009)

By susanmajp

I use both iron fry pans and large griddle with no problems. (09/15/2009)

By CAKEDEC

I used metal pans on my ceramic cook top and it ruined and cracked it. I had to get another one but got a regular cook-top, the above is too hard to keep clean. (11/28/2009)

By kffrmw88

I love my white ceramic stove top. It's easy and cheap to keep clean. Good old Comet, Ajax, or your favorite scratch-free powder bleach. Use a wet dish rag or sponge, wet soiled area, shake cleanser on those same areas, work around to a paste, let it sit, or work on it until it is clean! Anything left behind can be removed with a razor blade. (01/31/2010)

By kinsleyfox

Can I use cast iron type cookware on a glass top stove?

By Susie

Check on a cast iron website; but I don't think it's recommended. (06/22/2010)

By bkvander

You can use any kind of pan on a glass top. My lady cooks all the time with a cast iron pan on our glass top stove. (06/23/2010)

By foxrun41

Cast iron is not suppose to be used on ceramic top stoves along with copper coated pans, aluminum, and porcelain coated cookware. Stainless steel is recommended. (06/23/2010)

By Lorelei

People do it, but the manufacturer says, no. You might get away with it, but you might crack your stove top as my son has done twice. This is why I don't like those stove tops. My son says the best thing to do is hit them with a sledge hammer right before the warranty goes out, but he was kidding of course. (06/24/2010)

By Ann

I certainly wouldn't take the risk and I would far rather have cast iron cookware than have a glass top stove top. ;-) (06/24/2010)

By Deeli

I have been using my iron skillets on my glass top stove for over 9 years. Also, I use my stainless steel pots and pans. I still like the iron pans better for fixing hash browns, eggs, and bacon.

GG Vi (06/24/2010)

By Great Granny Vi