Browsing: Using Cast Iron Pan on Glass Top Stoves

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Using Cast Iron Pan on Glass Top Stoves

There are some restrictions noted for the types of cookware you can safely use on your glass top stove. This is a guide about using cast iron pan on glass top stoves.

Glass Top Stove
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

July 28, 2010 Flag

Can I use cast iron skillets on a glass top stove?

By Grace from Danville, WV

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

We do with no problems. We stay away from pots with a rounded bottom as they move on the hot stove.

Best Answer

My local appliance dealer says that the new appliances are designed to last for 10 years. That being said, I've used cast iron on my glass cooktop for at least 9 years almost every day. No problems and I have a variety of pans including a 16 inch cast iron pan and a griddle that uses two burners and the bridge burner. I am moving and have a new GE glass top. I intend to continue using cast iron. Just be careful and don't slide or twist your pans and in my honest opinion you'll be okay.

Yes, I have a ceramic smooth top stove with Halegen burners ,for over ten years and the cast iron holds the heat once it is hot so you can turn your heat down I use med (5) for most of my cooking , if I need to boil water for potatoes I use 9 until I see it bubbling & then reduce heat to 5(med) I have 3 cast iron skillets I use, & also visions sauce pans

they all work great and cleaning just use soft scrub & if something spills use a utility scraper to scratch off the residue & clean with soft scrub & rinse .

Thx

Read More Answers...

August 1, 2006 Flag

I want to know if there is something made to use on glasstop ranges to protect them from scratching when you use an iron griddle.

Best Answer

I found a cast iron skillet with the grill ridges in it recently. It is coated on the outside with a thick, bright red, porcelain coating so it works great on my ceramic stovetop......no scratching. Now I'm on the lookout for some regular skillets, coated the same. I found the one I have at a store called "Tuesday Morning".

Best Answer

I just use my cast iron griddle and pans. I made sure there were no rough edges to scratch my cooktop. I've done it for 16 years now. I figured that I bought my stove to use, not to baby, and I was going to get my money's worth from it. I use cast iron pans, I can, I use my pressure cooker, and I've never had one problem.

susanmajp

Thanks for the info on your cooktop! I've only had mine a few years and confess that I do "baby" it to some extent. I absolutely love it and the ease of keeping it looking nice! I did wonder if using a canner on it would be wise and you've answered that question for me. Thanks for sharing!

Pam,

I am glad you asked cuz I have only had my glasstop since last Nov. and been afraid to ruin it.

I am a fan of gas stoves but here I have to use

electric and this glasstop is the best so easy to clean and use.

I know where Licking is I used to drive through there to Boss, MO.

Annie

Hallsville, MO

Read More Answers...

January 23, 2012 Flag

Can you use a cast iron skillet on these new fancy stoves?

By Joanie

I have used my cast iron pans on my glass topped stove for 20 years. They cook wonderfully on it.

July 28, 2010 Flag

Can I use cast iron type cookware on a glass top stove?

By Susie

Answers:

Using Cast Iron on a Ceramic Cooktop

Check on a cast iron website; but I don't think it's recommended. (06/22/2010)

By bkvander

Using Cast Iron on a Ceramic Cooktop

You can use any kind of pan on a glass top. My lady cooks all the time with a cast iron pan on our glass top stove. (06/23/2010)

By foxrun41

Using Cast Iron on a Ceramic Cooktop

Cast iron is not suppose to be used on ceramic top stoves along with copper coated pans, aluminum, and porcelain coated cookware. Stainless steel is recommended. (06/23/2010)

By Lorelei

Using Cast Iron on a Ceramic Cooktop

People do it, but the manufacturer says, no. You might get away with it, but you might crack your stove top as my son has done twice. This is why I don't like those stove tops. My son says the best thing to do is hit them with a sledge hammer right before the warranty goes out, but he was kidding of course. (06/24/2010)

By Ann

Using Cast Iron on a Ceramic Cooktop

I certainly wouldn't take the risk and I would far rather have cast iron cookware than have a glass top stove top. ;-) (06/24/2010)

By Deeli

Using Cast Iron on a Ceramic Cooktop

I have been using my iron skillets on my glass top stove for over 9 years. Also, I use my stainless steel pots and pans. I still like the iron pans better for fixing hash browns, eggs, and bacon.

GG Vi (06/24/2010)

By Great Granny Vi

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 22, 2010 Flag

Can I use cast iron cookware on my ceramic cook top?

By quiltnmemaw from Sheridan, WY

Answers:

Using Cast Iron on a Ceramic Cooktop

No, it will make clean up a very big job. I tried it, and it took a long time to clean the stove. I got an electric hot plate to use with cast iron. I use the cast iron to bake with. It does a very good job. (09/10/2009)

By kffrmw88

Using Cast Iron on a Ceramic Cooktop

I don't see why not. My lady cooks all the time with a cast iron frying pan on our glass top stove with no harmful results. One thing we have to clean is the over spill. (09/10/2009)

By foxrun41

Using Cast Iron on a Ceramic Cooktop

I have used a cast iron frying pan on my ceramic cook top for the past three and a half years with no problems at all. I wouldn't use any other kind of frying pan. (09/13/2009)

By irisbird

Using Cast Iron on a Ceramic Cooktop

I use mine all the time, with no problems. Clean-up is no harder than with my regular cookware. You just have to be careful not to drop the pan/skillet since it is so heavy. And you have to pick it up and not slide it to another burner or it may scratch the cook-top. (09/14/2009)

By susanmajp

Using Cast Iron on a Ceramic Cooktop

I use both iron fry pans and large griddle with no problems. (09/15/2009)

By CAKEDEC

Using Cast Iron on a Ceramic Cooktop

I used metal pans on my ceramic cook top and it ruined and cracked it. I had to get another one but got a regular cook-top, the above is too hard to keep clean. (11/28/2009)

By kffrmw88

Using Cast Iron on a Ceramic Cooktop

I love my white ceramic stove top. It's easy and cheap to keep clean. Good old Comet, Ajax, or your favorite scratch-free powder bleach. Use a wet dish rag or sponge, wet soiled area, shake cleanser on those same areas, work around to a paste, let it sit, or work on it until it is clean! Anything left behind can be removed with a razor blade. (01/31/2010)

By kinsleyfox

Food and Recipes Food Tips Kitchen ToolsFebruary 6, 2013
Seasoning a Cast Iron Pan
Seasoning a Cast Iron Pan
Cooking with cast iron pans.
Cooking With Cast Iron Pans
Glass Top Stove
Removing Burnt Food Stains on a Glass Top Stove
Cast Iron Pan
Cleaning a Cast Iron Pan
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 28, 2016 at 7:05:06 AM on 10.0.0.199 in 715 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.