Using Coffee Grounds in the Garden

I found some unused bags of ground coffee from several years ago in the back of a cabinet. I don't want to use them for brewed coffee to drink. I know there are many uses for USED coffee grounds, but do they have to be used? Can I use them unbrewed or will it be to acidic for the yard or garden?

Kristen from Austin, TX

Answers:

Using Coffee Grounds in the Garden

Coffee grounds are useful for absorbing odors as well. For instance, when I had a musty smelling chest of drawers that I had purchased at an auction, I put a dish of coffee grounds in it to absorb the odors. It worked quite well. I have never used coffee grounds in the garden, but my opinion on that is that they would be just fine as they are from the package. I would assume that people don't use fresh ones simply because of the cost. (11/13/2007)

By louel53

Using Coffee Grounds in the Garden

Put some in the fridge. Works as well as baking soda in absorbing odors. (11/13/2007)

By kinga

Using Coffee Grounds in the Garden

I have used them on my rhododendrons (the leftover coffee in the pot) and on my tomatoes and they all did great. I've always used them after I perked the coffee but if you think it is too strong before brewing, maybe you can just soak them in water. Just a thought. Coffee doesn't last that long in my house (and it is only me) so I never have had unused grounds.

LI Roe (11/15/2007)

By LI Roe

Using Coffee Grounds in the Garden

Probably not too acidic for our Texas soil which is on the alkaline side, but you might consider composting it with other materials to allow the acid to leach out and redistribute more evenly. Yuska in San Antonio (11/15/2007)

By Yuska

Using Coffee Grounds in the Garden

I don't know for sure, I've always used already brewed grounds. I would mix them with some soil that can later be put in the garden or a little way out from the plants. Then they can be raked nearer the plants after they have been out a while, they will "brew" so to speak and should be safe to put right on the garden. Also leftover brewed coffee (no sugar or cream, just black) is great for houseplants and garden plants. (11/16/2007)

By ThriftyFun

Using Coffee Grounds in the Garden

I don't know for sure, I've always used already brewed grounds. I would mix them with some soil that can later be put in the garden or a little way out from the plants. Then they can be raked nearer the plants after they have been out a while, they will "brew" so to speak and should be safe to put right on the garden. Also leftover brewed coffee (no sugar or cream, just black) is great for houseplants and garden plants.

You could mix the grounds up with a lot of water, then water the garden with them. (11/16/2007)

By ThriftyFun

ground coffee
Using Coffee Grounds in the Garden
ground coffee
Uses for Coffee Grounds
Coffe Maker
Cleaning a Drip Coffee Maker
Beautiful coffee filter flowers in jars fiilled with rocks
Crafts Using Coffee Filters
Coffee Beans
Cleaning With Coffee
🎄
🍂
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on November 22, 2016 at 7:41:24 PM on 10.0.1.8 in 916 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.