Using Deodorant

Man Using Deodorant
Deodorant is a commonly used personal hygiene toiletry. There are some tips that might be helpful in using it satisfactorily. This is a guide about using deodorant.

I remember 'umpteen' years ago my fifth grade assistant teacher told us girls, "If you're ever out of deodorant and need an emergency fix, wet a bar of soap and rub it under your arms." I have used this tip several times over the years and it really does work to help curb the odor - when in a pinch!:) This is also a good way to avoid using the aluminums found in antiperspirants.

Source: Thanks to Ms Brown.:)

If you are like me and have no strength in your hands and fingers, then this tip is for you. When you get a new deodorant with the little plastic cover, use fingernail clippers to grab the corner of the clear cover. That way, you won't have to struggle with pulling and pulling and get no results.

Deodorant can leave an unsightly residue on under garments that can be difficult to remove. This is a guide about how to remove deodorant build-up.

Deodorant build-up on a t-shirt.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about deodorant makes my underarms itchy. Some consumers find that certain deodorants make the skin under their arms itchy.

Woman in tank top applying deodorant

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Give your deodorant time to dry before you get dressed. I get out of bed, make a pot of tea, and shower. I put on the deodorant. Then I sit and drink the tea (in bed). A lovely treat in the morning!

When the tea is finished, the deodorant is dry and I can put clothes on. The deodorant is more effective when it has had time to dry, and does not absorb into the clothes.

I switched to an aluminum free deodorant about 9 months ago, so no antiperspirant.
Things are going OK. I feel awkward stating this. My armpits don't smell, it's my clothes! I've tried many different aluminum free deodorants. I'm currently using the crystal one and sometimes Tom's, at work.

I initially thought I kind of smell. But after a lot of investigation and trying new things, I've found it's not me, it's the armpits of my shirts that smell. As in, I lift my arm and sniff - there's a slight smell. I take off shirt. I lift my arm and sniff - there's no smell. I'm not a dirty person, I wash my clothes! I have a lot of non-cotton clothes (I'm bad with fabric) for work. Yesterday I was wearing a kind of stretchy soft fabric, which I demonstrated to my boyfriend how it's not me, it's the shirt. He agreed!

Has anyone else found this with these deodorants?

odors tend to stay in mostly synthetic or all synthetic clothing. Try using plain white vinegar in the rinse cycle

I will try that, thank you!

I agree that deodorants without all the harmful chemicals don't mask as well...

Making a light water solution with baking soda and spraying or pouring it on the inside of the underarm material may help (as well as the vinegar, which I even use for big time odors like cleaning litter boxes too).

I always dust my underarms with some baking soda on a big make up brush before using organic Kiss My Face deodorant (found in most health food and other stores)

Perhaps wearing those little cotton protectors on your bra may help absorb the extra moisture too. You could even cut them out from the little pads they sell for "inbetween your periods".

Worth a try!

This sounds like a laundry issue rather than a deodorant issue. You might also try switching brands of detergent; I find that Tide often works better than generic brands. However, you might try a cup of baking soda in the wash cycle will work to remove odors. You can follow that with vinegar in the rinse. One or the other, or both work well for many odors. Just don't mix them, as they neutralize each other, and you have nothing but salt water.