Using Dog Treats When Training

A dog being trained with a treat.
Small treats can be used effectively when working on training activities with your dog. This is a guide about using dog treats when training.

When you buy soft dog treats, such as jerky or sausage type, tear them into smaller pieces. You can give just one tidbit as a training treat or plain old reward. Most dogs don't need the extra calories of an entire treat, and this way, you spend more time with your dog, too. It's all about the love!

By zballoongirl

Top Comment

Hope I'm not posting this twice. My apologies if this happens.

I make my own doggie "cookies" for my dogs. They are dirt cheap to make and use ingredients that are in my house and I know what are in the treats. I make the cookies for my dogs every two weeks and they love them. I've tried them on other dogs and they love them too.

Here's my favorite:

Snickerpoodles Dog Treats

• 1/2 cup canola oil
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 1 cup honey
  • 2 eggs
  • 3 3/4 cups white flour
  • 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 cup cornmeal
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
Mix vegetable oil, shortening and honey together until smooth. Add eggs and beat well.

Blend in flour, baking soda and cream of tartar. Knead dough until mixed well.

Shape dough by rounded teaspoons into balls. Mix the cornmeal and cinnamon together in a bowl and roll balls in mixture.

Place 2 inches apart on a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with a nonstick spray. Press the balls down with a fork twice going in 2 different directions or press with your favorite stamp.

Bake 8 minutes at 400. Remove from baking sheet and cool on a rack.

I go half white and half wheat flour and last week I substuted blackstrap molasses for half of the honey. You could make them in small nuggets before you bake them or break the larger cookies up.

Teach loose leash walking by using treats. Have your dog on your left side, leash slightly loose, and have a pocket full of treats on the other side. Speak your dog's name or make lip pursed sounds or whatever it takes to get his attention. As soon as he looks at you or comes back toward you give him a treat. Not a lot of words are necessary; body language and tone of voice are what a dog responds best to.

Keep some treats at the ready in your right hand (held closed and waist high) so you can get it down there quickly when you get the behavior you want. A lot of petting will add to the pup's excitement so keep that for the end of the lesson and then play with him. Soon your dog will be glancing up at you as he walks along beside you. Treat this behavior and keep walking. It takes time and patience and a couple of short walks a day will serve better than one long walk until he gets the idea. Work indoors where there are fewer distractions at first.

When teaching a dog anything short 5 minute sessions repeated later in the day will net the best results, and don't expect miracles overnight. Keep your treats very small or you'll soon have an obese puppy. When you think they're small enough cut them in two again. There are lots of homemade treats recipes on the internet. Sometimes mix in a few pieces of regular dog kibble, some dogs will work for that alone, however usually the higher value treat gets you the best result. Small pieces of cooked chicken works well, but remember to cut back the amount of your dog's supper. These treats add up and you do not want to contribute to weight gain. Some folks say I want my dog to work for "me", not just for the treat. Well, that will come. I have found treats training to be an invaluable tool, a dog thinks first with it's nose.

By Jean from Maritime, Canada

Top Comment

One of the best treats I learned about when I did obedience training with my 'pound puppy' Winston, (half Bassett hound and half Sharpei) was from the trainer. She said to take low fat (organic is best) chicken hot dogs and slice them long ways in half then cut each half into little 'coins'. Microwave them until they are crunchy. My dog would do anything for one of those little tidbits!

I have a 13 wk old Pom puppy who is paper training. I would like to use treats in her training. I would love suggestions on small soft training treats. Thanks Guys!

Ang from Ohio

Anonymous
Best Answer

We use real liver (freeze-dried) treats and puppy biscuits. The real liver treat are soft and can be broken into smaller pieces. The puppy biscuits are small, round and harder and are perfect for small dogs like yours.

For training, it works best to have three grades of treat Best, Better, and Good. For the difficult commands such as a stay, wait, down-stay or drop it, the best or "gold" treats make training easier.

These treats are available in chain pet stores. Good luck and hope this helps.

Best Answer

I also have poms and mine love this treat. They are easy to make.

Take 1 jar chicken, beef, or turkey baby food and mix it with equal parts wheat germ and powdered milk untill it's no longer thin. Make drop size bites then bake in a 350 degree oven until brown around corners. Keep in fridge, it's a really easy and great training treat.

Best Answer

I read somewhere that the best and cheapest is cut up hotdogs. I slice them long ways into fourths, then into small pieces and microwave them until they are dried up. They keep in a jar, open, on the counter top. My dog loves them.

Best Answer

I too have pomeranians. 2 girls, see my profile for the details.

I do a lot of obedience and agility training with them. We use tons of treats. Best treats for any training, should be small and soft. Soft treats allow the dog to keep focused on you. If you ever watched your dog chew a crunchy treat you will notice they drop their head and lose focus.

I found lots of small treats they liked, but they are or can be expensive. The best and least expensive treat would be string cheese. You can break off small bites. For a small Pom you could get tons of treating out of just one stick. Not to mention it is more healthy for them.

The procesed treats have corn syrup as a main ingredient unless you spend money for the natural ones. Most of them you can't find just in any pet store. String cheese you can always have on had, it doesn't smell and you can easily take it with you on walks and other places you may want to practice with training.

The other thing would be any kind of cooked meat, liver, beef, chicken... just cook a piece of chicken and cut it into pieces. The only thing with meat is you should only keep the piece in the fridge for 3-4 days, if you don't use it by then, throw it. Another reason why cheese is good, it has a longer fridge life.