Using Garden Flags

Category Decoration
Garden Flag
Garden flags are a fun decoration for any garden. This is a guide about using garden flags.

If you have trouble with winds whipping your decorative porch flags or you don't have a place for a pole holder, try hanging them inside a window. Just place the flag on a tension curtain rod and position it between the glass and the mini blinds at the top of the window frame. It's still easily seen, and it prolongs the life of the flag.

By Betty from Goliad, TX

I have a darling little garden flag on a stake in my flower bed. The problem is, the wind whips it until it comes off the curved end! To keep this from happening, once you get your flag into position, use black electrical tape and wrap the end of the stake several times to make it so "fat" that the flag can't slip off. When you are ready to change flags, simply use a razor blade to cut through the electrical tape, and you're ready to go.

By Vicki K. from Springfield, MO

Staple one of your address labels to your garden flags. If the wind were to blow it off, the person who finds it will know who it belongs to and return it.

By Terri from NV

Does anyone know where I might find a set or several garden/decorative flags with holiday or seasonal themes at a thrifty price? I have several small flags (about 12in x 18in) for the mini flag poles, but would like to mount a flagpole on my porch for the larger house/decorative flags (about 2' x 3').

These flags are pretty expensive ($10-15 each), but I'd like to get several at a much more affordable price, even if they are used but in good condition. I've checked eBay, but only found a few sold as a set/lot. Most are sold separately and costly! THANKS for any suggestions!

Leah from Shelbyville, Tn

The best time to buy is AFTER the occasion...usually marked down 50% to 75% or more and then you have them for next year.

Or you could make them -- if they're small you could download clipart, print out an iron on template onto special iron-on paper, iron it on to a small piece of canvas, and you'll be set.

you may want to check with your local freecycle . just go there and register now you have to give something up first as a good faith type thing but than you can post and ask if anyone wants to get rid of theirs

Too late for this spring and summer, but in early Autumn you can probably find them on clearance in the craft stores and garden centers. That's when I usually get mine if my currently hanging flag has started to shred apart.

Have you tried Dollar Tree? Everything is $1. You might not find a lot of them you want to buy, but I'm betting you might find one or two there. Its worth your time to look.