Question

Share | Account | About
Share>Account>About>

Using Hamburger Grease Instead of Bacon Fat

I don't cook much bacon, but I do cook a lot of ground beef. It seems like I should be able to use beef grease for anything that using bacon grease was suggested for, but I just wanted a 2nd opinion. What do you think?

By Nick

By Lin C.03/03/2013

Hamburger grease just isn't the same. 1) the flavor isn't as intense. 2) it's not as 'fatty' as bacon grease. It is good though for making gravy for a beef roast, soup base, stew flavoring and for quick pop overs (Yorkshire Pudding) without a Prime Rib.
Potatoes fried in beef grease are gross, as are eggs, etc. Live a little and procure some bacon grease. There's nothing like biscuits or cornbread using bacon grease as shortening.

By susan [5]08/28/2012

Can you say, "unhealthy?" The only thing I'd use beef fat for are: making suet cakes for the birds and making old-fashioned lye soap.

By Vicki [21]08/21/2012

Yes, you can unless you want the bacon smell of the bacon. However, since neither of these are good for you, I'd limit the use of these.