Share Crafts
Ask
Share
Newsletter
Account
About

Using Hamburger Grease Instead of Bacon Fat

0EmailPrintFollowSave

I don't cook much bacon, but I do cook a lot of ground beef. It seems like I should be able to use beef grease for anything that using bacon grease was suggested for, but I just wanted a 2nd opinion. What do you think?

By Nick

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By Vicki 24 428 08/21/2012 Flag

Yes, you can unless you want the bacon smell of the bacon. However, since neither of these are good for you, I'd limit the use of these.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By susan 8 1,368 08/28/2012 Flag

Can you say, "unhealthy?" The only thing I'd use beef fat for are: making suet cakes for the birds and making old-fashioned lye soap.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Lin C. 1 03/03/2013 Flag

Hamburger grease just isn't the same. 1) the flavor isn't as intense. 2) it's not as 'fatty' as bacon grease. It is good though for making gravy for a beef roast, soup base, stew flavoring and for quick pop overs (Yorkshire Pudding) without a Prime Rib.
Potatoes fried in beef grease are gross, as are eggs, etc. Live a little and procure some bacon grease. There's nothing like biscuits or cornbread using bacon grease as shortening.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes