Using Homemade Dry Laundry Detergent

I am thinking about using the homemade dry laundry detergent. Can you use it in cold water or do you need to mix it with warm water first before adding to the wash?

Lee Anna from Lafayette, IN

Answers:

Using Homemade Dry Laundry Detergent

I would mix it in a little bit of warm water, then turn it to cold (even most coin-op washers will let you change the water while it's running.) The borax can take a little while to break down, but if you use soap in the recipe, it is the big factor in residue. I actually use just borax and washing soda, then vinegar (about 1/2 cup) in the rinse, and my stains, even blood, come RIGHT out. I use 50/50 washing soda and borax, and throw in 1/2 cup to wash. The soap flakes got up my lungs, and I had too much residue (gray) on my whites. For cold wash delicates, try dollar store baby shampoo. It is powerful for stains and gentle on the colors! (08/12/2006)

By camo_angels

Using Homemade Dry Laundry Detergent

I have been using the grated soap/borax/washing soda combo for some months now. I also use the baking soda/water/vinegar fabric softener, and I have noticed no soap residue whatsoever. I start each load with hot water, add the soap mix, and wait until I get an inch of water. Then I stop, let it sit for a minute or so while I gather the clothes to be washed. It only takes a short time for the mix to dissolve. Then I switch to cold and turn the washer back on. (08/12/2006)

By Ree 127

Using Homemade Dry Laundry Detergent

I used homemade powder laundry soap for a long time a few years ago without a problem. I had to stop since my daughter has eczema and it was really bad on her skin. We never used anything but cold water except for whites (hubby just likes the whites washed in HOT water).

Also, something to think about... a lot of the recipes say FelsNaptha, but I had good luck using other soaps too. I liked using Dial when I could get it on sale, but like I said, with DD's eczema the only soap she could use was Dove Sensitive so it wasn't very cost effective for us. (08/13/2006)

By nikkiev

Using Homemade Dry Laundry Detergent

I use it all the time in only cold water. Never a problem. (08/14/2006)

By Linda

Using Homemade Dry Laundry Detergent

I've been using it for awhile now with no problems. I don't even let mine dissolve before I throw the laundry in there (I use zote, washing soda, and borax). I turn on my cold water and throw in my laundry, never had any problems. (08/15/2006)

By halloweenfreak

Using Homemade Dry Laundry Detergent
liquid laundry soap
Homemade Liquid Laundry Detergent Recipes
A washer filled with laundry.
Homemade Laundry Detergent Recipes
Dry laundry detergent stored in glass canisters.
Storing Dry Laundry Detergent
Wheelbarrow Flower Decoration
Crafts Using Laundry Detergent Scoops
🎄