Using Juice in Canned Fruit

I used to drain off the juice from canned fruit and let it run down the sink. Was I crazy? Yes! And we eat lots of canned fruit as we eat some form of fruit, canned or frozen, with yogurt every morning, and I wince when I think of how much money I've wasted. So I wanted to post some uses I have found for this "free" product. I collect the drained juice in recycled plastic jars and keep it in the freezer until needed, mixing all flavors.

Popsicles are the most obvious use. I also blend in yogurt or whey off the yogurt and sweeten to taste with honey or sugar. You can also mix in a pack of Koolaid or knockoff drink mix to punch up the flavor. Or scavage some older or blemished fruit and blend in.

Pour the juice in ice trays and freeze to use in smoothie type drinks, or to make a facsimile of ice cream. I use whatever fruit I have on hand and blend with the frozen juice and powdered milk, some NutraSweet and a bit of water if needed for the blender to work, and either leave it thick for "ice cream" or thin it for smoothies. When the cubes freeze keep them in a bag in the freezer.

Use some of the juice for the liquid in homemade bread.

Rice is delicious when you replace some of the cooking liquid with leftover fruit juice and add curry powder, onion, celery, and sliced almonds.

Use unflavored gelatin and 2 cups of leftover juice to make desserts and snacks. Or use flavored gelatin and 1 cup of water and 1 cup juice.

One of the best uses for the juice from canned fruit is to make a topping for pancakes and waffles. I cup juice to 1 tablespoon of corn starch and cook til thick in the microwave. We love pancakes at our house and this is a favorite.

I mix juice, soy sauce, honey, vinegar, onion, and use as a marinade and basting sauce for chicken.

One thing I am going to try next is making a cake glaze using this juice and powdered sugar.

I am interested in other's ideas. For something I used to toss out it sure is useful.

Susan in Omaha

Answers:

Using Juice in Canned Fruit

Well, duh, I forgot to add the use that originally sparked the reason for this post. I use the juice as part of the liquid when I make granola. Susan in Omaha (02/26/2005)

By Susan in Omaha

Using Juice in Canned Fruit

When using a white or yellow cake mix, substitute juice for the liquid called for. Good! (02/27/2005)

Using Juice in Canned Fruit

I use juice from canned fruit to baste chicken and ham while baking. Gives a nice flavor and caramelized texture.(03/10/2005)

By Steamer

Using Juice in Canned Fruit

Instead of milk on cereal, use fruit juice. peach, and apricot juice are very good. (10/21/2005)

By Jon

Canned Peaches in a Jar
Uses for Juice from Canned Fruit
Grape juice that is splashing out of the cup.
Removing Grape Juice Stains from a Tablecloth
strawberry spritzer
Fruit Juice Spritzer Recipes
Frozen Juice Containers on White Background
Reusing Frozen Juice Containers
A glass of orange juice.
Saving Money on Juice
🎉
🎄