Using Leftover Rice

Having left over rice can be the start of another great meal. This guide is about using leftover rice.

Filter Sort

Tip: Leftover Rice - Four Ways

By Ruth in Ohio 4

I recently cooked a whole package of brown rice and made stir fried rice, which was very good. This was for a group buffet and I ended up with quite a bit left over. On the buffet, it was served with sliced turkey. There are just two of us at home and we didn't want to eat stir fry rice every day for a week.

The first night, I served it with meatloaf which I had in the freezer.

The second night, I added some browned hamburger and taco seasonings and we had taco salad.

The third night, I added it to hamburger and sausage mixture, and made stuffed green peppers.

We enjoyed each different meal and it didn't seem that we were eating leftover rice. In fact, it made meal preparation very easy for me with this one ingredient ready to use. I might just cook a bunch of rice, and repeat this meal plan again someday.

By Ruth in Ohio

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Using Leftover Fried Rice

By Mary 4 2

How can I use leftover pork fried rice?

Mary

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Same with ChloeA, honey, leftover fried rice is good reheated with some duck sauce or scrambled eggs. Hey, it has all the veggies.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Leftover Rice

By dennis mills 2 2

We made too much rice for our dinner, and had a lot left over. Rather than waste it, I put it into portions in freezer bags. I tied a knot half way-up after squeezing the air out, and put it in the refrigerator. It will keep for about 5 days until you need some for another meal. Pop it in the microwave on full power for 1 minute-10 seconds. Place on plate, cut the bag under the knot, and pour out. Saved the rice, saved on time and money.

By Den the Cook from Newport, Wales, UK

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Perk Up Leftover Rice

By Darlene 1

Want to perk up leftover plain rice or Rice A Roni Pilaf rice? Combine the rice with partially defrosted stir fry vegetables and soy sauce (to your taste). Add a small can of mushrooms, a can of sliced water chestnuts, and a few chopped green onions. Mix all together, add the soy sauce, and heat in a large fry pan. Toss while heating.

An even easier way of doing this quick, tasty dish is to just partially defrost a couple of veggie patties, and chop them up with the rice, and add soy sauce to your taste.

By Joyce D. from Nine Mile Falls, WA

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Recipe Using Leftover Pork Fried Rice

What can I make to repurpose leftover pork fried rice? I don"t want to waste it.

By Priscilla

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Archive: Leftover Rice

I use a rice cooker and often have leftover rice. Rather than throw it away, I do what my old Japanese roommate used to do, freeze it! Place leftover cooked rice in plastic wrap or a ziploc baggie and put it in the freezer. It will keep for a long time and only need a few seconds in the microwave to heat up. Tastes great after being frozen.

*Tip - freeze in individual serving sizes for a quick lunch. Add some frozen veggies and sauce and voila!

By Carrie from Yakima, WA

Feedback:

RE: Leftover Rice

Works for all cooked whole grains. Next time you make a brothy soup, you can throw in the whole frozen chunk and let it thaw itself in the soup. (Take off the baggie first, for those not paying close attention. lol) (12/18/2006)

By Speedwell

RE: Leftover Rice

One of my favorite things to do with rice (my kid's favorite, too) is to make rice cakes: 1 egg and 1 Tbsp. flour for every 1 cup of rice, then add whatever is leftover: meat, veggies, and a nice handful of cheese! Stir together, it will slightly stick together. Fry in a little butter or butter-spray, golden on both sides! Great way to use up the bits of leftovers, very versatile. (12/18/2006)

By KLJohn

RE: Leftover Rice

With leftover rice, add half milk and half evaporated milk, sugar to taste a little nutmeg and a few currants. Heat in a thick bottom pot, stirring all the time, and you have a delicious English rice pudding. Yummy! (06/17/2008)

By savedone

Leftover Rice With Turkey Mushroom Sauce
Food and Recipes Food Tips LeftoversSeptember 18, 2012
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Pudding Made With Leftover Rice
Making Rice Pudding With Leftover Rice
Scoop of brown rice. Freezing brown rice.
Freezing Brown Rice
Side of Spanish rice.
Making Spanish Rice in the Rice Cooker
A plate of cooked brown rice.
Cooking Brown Rice in a Rice Cooker
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 13, 2016 at 5:11:21 PM on 10.0.0.113 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestionsArchives
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings