Using Leftover Soap Pieces

We have all had needs for bath soap etc. and I have found that each bar costs lots of money. I have made up my mind to recycle all of the bits of soap-ends that I have accumulated over the years and I made my own beautiful hand made soap. It includes olive oil that makes my skin extremely soft and non dry. Just use the following:

All of the ends of soap in your house and a cup of olive oil. Put all of the soap ends into a small sauce pot and one cup of olive oil (extra virgin is OK). Then simmer it stirring until it comes to a simmer. Then let cool and turn into a mold such as an ice tray.

You can add a few drops of essential oils such as lavender or citrus. Put into the freezer for a few hours, then let each cube dry out of the freezer. This soap will let you save money on commercial soap and put your own spin on fragrance and softening your skin. It works.

By Sue123 from Oroville, CA

Answers:

Using Leftover Soap Pieces

I recently read that small pieces of soap are good for most plants? The info was to dig a small hole a about 8 inches from the plant and deposit small soap pieces and cover. I have not tried this, but it does seem that my mother did this many years ago. I know that she always poured her dishwater over her plants and her plants were always beautiful. (09/24/2009)

By cybergrannie

Using Leftover Soap Pieces

Hi Maryeileen, First I start with a base: I prefer the ready to melt and pour oatmeal base. If you would like to make your own base however, I would be glad to get that info for you. Once I have melted the base in a double boiler, I then add essential oils or fragrance oils. I also use coffee grounds for cellulite reduction in some of my bars. Other bars I use dried lemon or orange peel. My latest called pumpkin spice has dried pumpkin flakes- all good for exfolliating. If I run out of oatmeal base, I can use white soap base, and then add to it equal parts of H2O with equal parts of colloidal oatmeal such as Aveeno in powder form. I love doing this, its very therapeutic for me. (09/24/2009)

By crownfairy

Using Leftover Soap Pieces

You can use a small mesh bag and put the soap slivers in it. I use one that covered garlic cloves. You could also use those small bags that you get for wedding favors or make your own out of net material. I add old soap when it is small enough. I use a bread clip on the top to hold it shut. Just pick up the bag and you are ready to lather up the washcloth. When I have finished my shower, I hang the soap bag with a clothespin on the shower caddy so that the soap can air out and not get all gooey. That way you do not have to go through the trouble of melting it down. I have done this for years. (09/24/2009)

By Jazzylazzy

Using Leftover Soap Pieces

Maryeileen, Here are the actual ingredients of the oatmeal soap base that I buy direct ~oatmeal: Propylene Glycol, Sorbitol, Glycerin, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Myristate, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Meal, Triethanolamine, Water, Fragrance, Titanum Dioxide,

Next step: Melt base in double boiler. Do not let boil, add no more than 1tsp of fragrance oil or essential oil (your choice of scent) per lb. of base. Stir well and take off of double boiler, it is now that I add extras, like unused coffee grounds, dried lemon or orange peel, extra colloidal oatmeal, dried pumpkin flakes, etc. You may now fill your molds. I usually fill then set in freezer for no more than 10 minutes. You do not want your soap to sweat and lose moisture, so after it has set, promptly wrap it. (09/25/2009)

By crownfairy

slivers of soap in dish
Using Leftover Pieces of Soap
Hand washing shower wall
Removing Soap Scum from Shower Doors
Making Soap on a Rope, Heart Shaped Soap on a Rope
Making Soap on a Rope
Dish Soap Bottle Dolls
Dish Soap Bottle Dolls
Neatly Wrapped Homemade Soap
Packaging Homemade Soap for Sale
🎉
🎄