Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Using Neosporin on Dogs

Pet owners often wonder if an OTC first aid product is also safe to use on their pet. This is a guide about using Neosporin on dogs.

October 28, 2007 Flag

Can neosporin be used on my dog's eye injury?

Donna from LA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would imagine that it would depend on how close to the eye the injury actually is. Many people medicines can be used on animals and many animal medicines can be used on people (believe it or not!). Best, though, to call a vet and many times they will tell you over the phone.

Back in my single days when I was poor, I once used an antibiotic pill (that I was allergic to) on my cat when she got an infection from a cat fight. My vet told me over the phone how much I could use and it worked great and saved me the expense of going into the vet.

Ask your vet. Or better yet, take your dog to the vet.

Neosporin has the exact ingredients in it as does presciption medication Vetropolycin ointment; EXCEPT for one ingredient out of the three has half that amount of units which is Polymyxin B sulfate. The Vetropolycin has 10,000 units while Neosporin or its generic form has 5,000 units.

Hi,my "Panda"12yrs.old for the 1st time in her life got fleas. Anyway,I took her to my vet, because she'd scratched herself to the bleeding point under her arm. Yes, you can use it like that, but near the eyes! No,l ike it says on the container. Better safe than sorry.

Happy Holidays, Keeper

No. Neosporin has oculotoxic properties. If it is used at all on or around the eyes, it must be used very carefully and in very small quantities. Don from Maryland

Can neosporin be used on my dog small cut on female area where groomer snip her?

This a little bit off topic but I have a matlis/podde mix hes 4 months old, but i cant bring him to the vet for a couple days or so because of a lot of work(at work at this moment). It looks like he scratched his eye or something along that lines cuz he has this red goop (not blood, cuz my aunts knows a little bit about vet.) but she doesn't know what to put on it till then. Does anyone know of something that can help it a little bit till i can take him? Something that can sort of start healing it or maybe just stop it from getting infected. I put some eye drops on him just to wash off anything in his eye.

Neosporin has drops for the eye, over the counter. It is oftentimes recommended for bacterial eye infections.

Yes, the prescription eye ointment the vet will prescribe for conjunctivitis is the same as Neosporin and can be applied by dabbing a bit on a clean finger and gently wiping into the bottom lid of the eye.

The FDA has approved Neosporin as an ophthalmic ointment for cats and dogs as seen here :

http://www.scri  ion-Neosporin-PI

Thanks for all your neat opinions but the FDA calls the shots officially on drug safety.

The warnings on the label apply to humans, not your dog. It is not manufactured to a standard for human eyes but is completely sterile and safe for your pets in small amounts, even in the eyes.

Our golden retriever gets conjunctivitis every couple years and shows green discharge like eye boogers first followed by watery eye and redness. Instead of paying $100 plus to the vet every time, I rub a little Neosporin into the corner of his eye twice a day and it clears right up in a day or two. The sooner you see the green eye goop and apply the antibiotic the sooner it will clear up.

MKULTRA, your feedback is misleading. The link you sent was for sterile Neosporin Opthalmic ointment. This is NOT the same as the basic Neosporin ointment you might have around the house. Regular neosporin ointment should NOT be used in the eye - it is not sterile, contains different concentrations of drugs, and it is the vehicle (the ointment itself) that makes us worry about irritation and opthalmic damage (not whether it contains the same drugs in the BNP ointment you may get from the vet). The sterile opthalmic Neosporin is safe to use in eyes. However, it is always best to consult your veterinarian, as there may be an underlying cause, such as an ulcer on the cornea, that is causing your pet problems.

March 8, 2010 Flag

My 7 year Dachshund has a fungal condition on his paws. I have tried shampoo and oral fungal medication. But it persists. He licks his paws all the time. I want to know if Neosporin is good for this condition instead of oral medications.

By Beatriz from Weston, FL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hello,

Please take your fur baby to the Vet. A fungal infection can be treated with oral medication.

No, don't apply Neosporin anywhere where he can reach to lick. It's not good for them to ingest. It is perfectly good to use on places where they can't reach to lick though.

I also have dachshunds. One is 7 yrs old and one is 10 yrs old. My 10 yr old constantly licks at her front paw. The vet can't find a thing wrong with it. I found some stuff at the drug store called "Bite the Habit" and it's like a clear nail polish but it's got a horrible taste to it and one lick will keep the taste on their tongue for a long time! Plus the taste stays on the spot where you painted it on for a long time too, so it doesn't require reapplying more than once or twice a week.

I paint my dog's paw with this and she quits licking immediately. And it doesn't hurt her at all. You could try this, or any similar product that's made for teaching kids not to suck their thumbs or for helping people break the nail biting habit. "Bite the Habit" is to break the nail biting habit and does work!

You can use Neosporin on dogs, but in this instance, I'd be concerned that it really isn't what the dog needs. If it's a fungal infection, there are a few different causes (ringworm being one of them, which is also contagious to you!).

Check this link:

http://www.ehow  fection-dog.html

It suggests doing what you've already done and possibly also washing the area with diluted warm water and iodine, as well as applying an anti-fungal OTC preparation. Think jock-itch or feminine itch type creams.

It also notes that if two weeks of home remedies aren't working, time to go to the vet. There are also other possible causes for it that can include internal parasites.

There is a dachshund website which is full of information. Can't think of the name right now. Just type in the word dachsund and see what comes up. They were very helpful when one of mine had a ruptured disc.

Use Athlete's foot spray, just not in the eyes.

One more thing to consider would be an irritant. It is spring and many dogs' feet and bellies are irritated by fertilizer people put on their lawns. I had a friend that had to put a muzzle on his dachshund because of all the chewing. He changed to organic fertilizer and never had another problem.

My worry is that your baby will lick it off his paws and get sick from it because it's an external only medication :-( If you do use it on his paws please wrap them with bandages he can't chew off. The best thing to do though is call his vet again or even ask another vet or two what to do.

Neosporin does not kill fungus. Please take your pet to the vet. He is miserable.

Neosporin should not be used on animals where they can injest it. It should only be used when an area can be bandaged. It is an external product only. That said you should research Apple Cider Vinegar as a topical application as well as adding it to drinking water. If he does have ring worm, it will help combat the parasite, it is also safe to use on yourself. Also the ACV will change the Ph of the fungal area and reverse it's growth. Google ACV for dogs, the results are amazing.

Athletes foot spray. Old fashioned vet gave me this advice says dogs pick up fungus same as people do. In public shower, in the grass. Simple, you can even use this on ringworm which is a fungus but do not spray into the eyes.

Pets Dogs HealthMarch 14, 2013
Preventing Heartworms in Dogs
How Do Dogs Get Heartworms?
Cat Food
Is Cat Food OK for Dogs?
A dog sitting in a garden.
Keeping Dogs Out of Your Garden
Cooking Hot Dogs in the Microwave
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 22, 2017 at 5:22:37 PM on 10.0.1.40 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.