Using Orange Zest

An orange zester with zest and a curly orange peel on a white background.
The zest from lemons and oranges is used in a number of recipes, but it can also be used in homemade cleaning products. This is a guide about uses for orange zest.

OK, I'm more than frugal, I'm stingy. I admit it. I don't like to throw away anything, especially food. I bought a bag of Florida navel oranges. They were very good. Well, I bought another bag. This time, it occurred to me I should save the zest from the peels.

So, I have the zest of a dozen oranges individually frozen in little packets. I'm looking for some ideas on what to do with all that zest. There will be more, too. Maybe I could make orange bitters with them, but I haven't looked into that, yet.

How can I use this zest? Do remember that I do very little baking.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Answers

Best Answer

Use orange or lemon zest in fresh vegetables such as green beans, spinach, cabbage or any type of vegetable to give it a robust flavor and cut back on salt. I also use a small amount of citrus zest when using a cake mix for a different flavor. There are various ways to cook with zest either savory or sweet dishes.

Best Answer

You can use orange peels to make essential orange oil for cleaning. You can also make an orange oil for use in baking. There are numerous recipes online for making different kinds.

The other day I ran across a recipe for your own diy enzymatic cleaner, you know, that stuff that gets rid of even the most pernicious odors http://www.oneg  yme-cleaner.html

It requires mixing the zest up with brown sugar, yeast, water, and letting it ferment.

I have spent good money on enzymatic cleaners in the past so this seems like a great thing to me

You can use it for soap. Here is the link: http://www.esse  ap-tutorial.html

Next time, dip your rinds in chocolate. I've never tried it, but I'll bet it is good.