Using Overripe Bananas

Even when they get too ripe to eat there are still many recipes that call for overripe bananas. This is a guide about using overripe bananas.

April 30, 2013 Flag

mashed bananas in baggie

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is a guide about freezing overripe bananas. If you are not ready to use them now, you can freeze overripe bananas for use later in baking.

December 26, 2009 Flag

How can I use over ripe bananas?

By Marla from Jenison, MI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

EXTREME BANANA NUT BREAD (or muffins*)

2 C all-purpose flour

1 tsp salt

2 tsp baking soda

1 C butter or margarine, softened (I use butter)

2 C white sugar (I use 1/2 white sugar and 1/2 Splenda)

2 C mashed overripe bananas

4 eggs, beaten

1 C chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour (or line with parchment paper) two 9 x 5 inch loaf pans.

Sift the flour, salt, and baking soda into a large bowl. In a separate bowl, cream together the butter (or margarine) and sugar until smooth. Stir in the mashed bananas, eggs, and walnuts until well blended. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry mixture, and stir just until blended. Divide the batter evenly between the two loaf pans.

Bake for 60 to 70 minutes in the preheated oven, until a knife inserted into the crown of the loaf comes out clean. (I cover loosely with foil if it starts browning before the center is done.)

Let the loaves cool in the pans for at least 5 minutes, then turn out onto a cooling rack, and cool completely. Wrap in aluminum foil to keep in the moisture. Ideally, refrigerate the loaves for 2 hours or more before serving.

* For muffins, preheat the oven to 375 and bake for about 20 minutes. Use cupcake/muffin liners so you don't have to grease the muffin tins.

Best Answer

If they are black inside as well as outside, bury them at the base of a rose bush or other shrub. As they decompose they feed the plant healthy nutrients.

Best Answer

Yeah i've never made banana bread but I do freeze my bananas for banana pancakes - they're the best!! So yummy and delicious.

Best Answer

Don't eat them, instead make a gorgeous facial mask by mashing it up, adding a splash of honey & leaving it on for 15 minutes. It smells delicious.

Best Answer

You can puree them, and use them in French toast batter. Or else you can also use them in smoothies along with any berries you have, and some milk. Even if they have turned dark, don't worry because the french toast/smoothie will still taste great!

Best Answer

Cut in half, sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon and saute in a pan with a little butter till softened.....delicious!

Best Answer

You can make a banana milk shake. Cut these bananas into pieces depending upon the size of the banana and grind them (don't need a juicer for this as banana's very soft). Add milk, then add yogurt (only a couple of tablespoons. Yogurt should be put in to remove the milk smell while drinking. If you are OK with the smell, don't have to add yogurt).

Add sugar (ripe banana's are generally sweet, so sugar may not be necessary). You may add honey instead of sugar to make it healthy and fat free). You can make it thick by adding less milk and eat it or add more milk (little milk and little water can be used) to make it watery and drink it as a banana milk shake. It hardly takes any making time and is also healthy as it contains banana and milk. can be had at room temperature or cold. Tastes good in any way.

Best Answer

You can also make banana crunches. Take besan flour, add water to make a semi solid, add required salt. Cut the banana's into 4 inch pieces. Dip these bananas into the mixture and deep fry. You can spice it up with chillies by adding chili paste in besan. Kids will like it.

Best Answer

Polynesian Deep Fried Sweet Puffs

These puffs are yummy plain, but also taste good sprinkled with powdered sugar or gently spread with your favorite jam or jelly.

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour

2/3 cup sugar

1 tsp baking powder

1 very ripe banana, mashed

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

3/4 cup water

3 cups vegetable oil for frying

Combine the flour, sugar, and baking powder in a bowl until thoroughly mixed.

Stir in the bananas, vanilla extract, and water to make smooth sticky dough.

Heat the oil in a deep fryer or large saucepan to 350 degrees.

Scoop up about 1/4 cup of batter with a large spoon and use another spoon to push it off into the oil.

Fry in small batches of 4 or 5 until they float to the top and turn golden brown, about 3 minutes.

Flip them over to fry the other side.

Remove from the fryer and let drain on paper towels.

Submitted by Deeli, Richland, WA

________________________________________

You can also mash some up and add it to whipped cream.

As a whipped cream substitution:

2 large ripe bananas, sliced

3 tsp sugar

2 egg whites

Whip all of the ingredients together :-)

Banana Bread! You can even mash them, then freeze in a ziplock bag to make banana bread another day.

Huggybear Zeeland, MI

July 4, 2010 Flag

How long are extra ripe bananas good to use? I have some very black ones and want to use them in banana bread.

By Carol from Dyer, IN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

If my bananas are "too ripe" to eat. I put them whole in a freezer bag and thaw as needed. The only way I would throw away a banana is if I forget to freeze them and they are oozing out of their skin. I've also never had a problem using them once they are frozen, banana bread, banana oatmeal pancakes, cookies.

Addition. I forgot to tell you its great to dip in carob if you have anybody who likes that better.

Sometimes I just buy extra bananas to do this with.

I put ripe bananas in blender and freeze them in amounts needed for bread or cake. I add chopped nuts to them in the bag, if I happen to have them so when I bake my bread, I have the nuts I need.

I do the same, only I eat the frozen banana pieces like they are little popsicles. Good in hot So. California.

Great minds think alike! ha This is such an easy thing to do, and there is no waste to the bananas. Kids just won't eat them when they get over ripe.

To freeze the over-ripe bananas, I mash them with a potato masher. Put the mashed banana in a zip-lock freezer bag, squeeze all the air out, and place in freezer. By freezing them one banana at a time, they are easily used for what-ever recipe. Some call for 3 bananas, some for more. So there are always enough bananas to make banana bread or muffins.

I put them right into the freezer as is, whole banana with the skin on. I take them out as needed and they defrost quickly on the kitchen counter.

I toss them in the freezer then when I have time, I make batches of banana nut bread. My family loves them. They may look ugly, but they sure taste good.

If you only have one soft banana and are making a cake throw it in the batter. You don't always taste it but you know you haven't wasted the banana. You can even put it in chocolate cake batter.

I freeze them and use them in future smoothies. ;-)

http://www.stil  tems/index/16451

December 26, 2009 Flag

What can I do with overripe bananas? They are black, but I don't want to throw them away.

Kimberly from Sumner, WA

Answers:

Over Ripe Bananas

If you have leftover, over-ripe bananas, don't throw them out. Use them for banana bread or even banana pancakes. Banana pancakes are probably the most moist, heavenly pancakes our family has ever tried.

By Robin (11/26/2004)

By ThriftyFun

Uses for Overripe Bananas

I place my over-ripe bananas, still in their peel, in the freezer. It doesn't take long to thaw them and they can be used in cakes, muffins, sauces, and the list goes on. These bananas, mashed, are yummy with peanut butter on a sandwich. (11/26/2004)

By Marian

Uses for Overripe Bananas

From time to time my supermarket has overripe bananas bagged at 3 lbs. for 39 cents. I puree these with a little orange or lemon juice and freeze in pre-measured batches. I store 1 1/2 cups for my favorite cookie recipe, 1 cup for bread, etc. I tape a masking tape label on each container showing the amount and date frozen. I also keep a list by date of everything I have in the freezers so nothing overstays its usefulness. Beth (11/26/2004)

By Beth

Uses for Overripe Bananas

I skin the bananas and freeze them. Since I'm watching my weight, I love to make a banana smoothie out of them. In your blender add 8 cubes of ice (I smash it into smaller pieces before putting in the blender), 1 frozen banana broken into chunks, 3/4 cup skim milk, and 1 tsp sugar. Blend until smooth. Very filling and satisfying. (11/26/2004)

By Pat

Uses for Overripe Bananas

I mix them with a little honey and oatmeal and use for a great moisturizing scrub/mask for dry skin. This also works great on feet and elbows. (01/01/2005)

By cjgeo

Overripe Bananas - Natures Breast Lift

It sounds ludicrous, but it works. Take two overripe bananas and mash them slightly. Take an old bra and put it on. Place the mashed bananas inside your bra and leave it on for about 30 minutes. The effects can last up to 3 days. Because this is messy I recommend you only use before special events or at night when you're not likely to have company. Good luck. Take care of yourselves and those you love. And may your breasts be as perky as they were in high school. (01/23/2005)

By Suzanne S.

Uses for Overripe Bananas

I freeze banana chunks on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper. Then toss the chunks into a good sized Ziploc, as I can add to it, as needed. For a fast breakfast, I put in a blender, a cup of yogurt (any flavor), a splash or 2 of milk, 3-4 frozen banana chunks anad voila, I have a nutritious breakfast shake. One could also add a splash of OJ or vanilla to it, but no sugar is needed. (02/03/2005)

By badwater

Uses for Overripe Bananas

Peel bananas and cut up in a cookie storage container, top with chocolate syrup, ice cream (favorite kind) then chocolate syrup again and last chopped up nuts. Cover and freeze. Cut in squares when you feel a need for a sundae or banana split. (08/20/2006)

By Diane

Uses for Overripe Bananas

Extreme Banana Nut Bread (or muffins*)

* For muffins, preheat the oven to 375 F. and bake for about 20 minutes. Use cupcake/muffin liners so you don't have to grease the muffin tins. (08/29/2006)

By Maryeileen

Uses for Overripe Bananas

If they are black inside as well as outside, bury them at the base of a rose bush or other shrub. As they decompose they feed the plant healthy nutrients. (08/29/2006)

By Linda

Uses for Overripe Bananas

My family loves monkey tails. We take our overripe bananas, cut them in half put a Popsicle stick in the flat end freeze them on wax paper. Then dip them in melted chocolate, we buy the tub of chocolate from the produce section for strawberries.
(05/28/2007)

By April

Uses for Overripe Bananas

Cook for 10 minutes in a hot oven, peel, sprinkle on a little lemon juice, enjoy. (01/22/2008)

By Neil

Uses for Overripe Bananas

Don't eat them, instead make a gorgeous facial mask by mashing it up, adding a splash of honey and leaving it on for 15 minutes. It smells delicious. (05/30/2008)

By Lucy

Uses for Overripe Bananas

Try making Chicken and Banana Curry. It's absolutely fabulous and really simple to make (I've also seen recipes online for shrimp and banana curry if you want to go fancy.) The basic recipe for chicken and banana curry is: Saute some roughly chopped onions and mushrooms. To the saute pan add diced chicken, chicken stock, coconut milk, chopped dates, and curry powder. Let simmer for 15 minutes. Add sliced bananas and continue simmering for 5 more minutes. Serve over rice. (07/15/2008)

By Jen

Uses for Overripe Bananas

I saw James Martin make banana ice cream. Take frozen bananas, buttermilk, and some sugar, mix in a food processor. Instant ice cream, must be made and eaten straight away. (09/01/2008)

By Gemma

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Food and Recipes Food Tips FruitApril 30, 2013
Dried Bananas
Drying Bananas
Dates
Banana Date Bar Recipes
A banana on ice.
Freezing Bananas
mashed bananas in baggie
Freezing Overripe Bananas
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 17, 2017 at 1:15:49 AM on 10.0.2.128 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.