Using Paint To Make A Room Appear Larger

I have all white walls in my trailer. I was wondering if I should paint only one wall a dark color or all the walls a warm color to make it look bigger?

By Toni from Livingston, TX

Answers:

Light colors make a room appear larger as do wall mirrors. Try adding a large wall mirror for a larger effect, but if you decide to paint, just keep it light especially if you have very little natural lighting. (02/17/2010)

By Lorelei

I would stick with one color so the space will flow better visually. (02/18/2010)

By Allison5

Light colors visually add space, while dark colors make a room seem smaller. If the room is small, using two colors will make it busy. Warm or cool colors have nothing to do with making the room seem bigger or smaller, they are just a personal preference. If you are a cool person, I wouldn't paint the room a warm color; it will make you feel sickly and depressed. Vice-versa is true, too.

Paint the room a color you love whether it is an "in" color or not. If you really want a bold color, you can make the room visually seem bigger by using large scale furniture, but this can be tricky, and if you are not adept at decorating, mistakes are easy to make and the room may just appear crowded. Personally, I'd stick to a very light color, a semi-gloss (shine makes a room appear larger too), small scale prints, and go sparse on accessories. Mirrors, light woodtones, and a plant or two will help. (02/19/2010)

By susanmajp

Any shade of blue would be nice and spatial. Do all the walls the same though. (02/20/2010)

By PainterLee

Porcelain bathtub.
Removing Paint from a Porcelain Bathtub
painting a room
Using Paint to Make a Room Appear Larger
Old wooden ladder leaning against a concrete wall with painted designs.
Removing Paint from Concrete
Green paint on a brick wall.
Cleaning Paint from Brick
🎉
🎄