Question

Share | Account | About
Share>Account>About>

Using Salt to Get Rid of Fleas

My boyfriend and I just moved into a 2 bedroom apartment, because we are expecting a baby in 2 months. We have no pets, but the people who lived here before must have because this apartment has fleas. It is all carpeted and I don't want to use any chemicals since I am pregnant and the baby will be here soon.

I heard that salt works really well, but since we live on the 5th floor and have no pets, I was wondering if I should still repeat the treatment all of the time or if I should be OK with a few treatments since there is no way for them to get back in? Also if anyone thinks there are any better ways, please let me know.

By Kay

Best Answer

This answer has been rated the best for this question.

By Debi savicky08/28/2012

Yes, salt works great. If you can find popcorn salt (usually available at restaurant supply stores or online) that is best because it will not show in carpet while you are treating it, plus it penetrates deep into the fibers. You want to sprinkle it into your carpet thoroughly, then use a broom or whatever you have to beat it deep into the carpet.

It needs to stay in for two weeks. If you have to vacuum before 2 weeks, then you will need to repeat the treatment. This works quickly and safely. I have had many, many, rescue dogs and this is the only way I would treat for fleas. Safe for adults and pets.

By DeAnna B.08/24/2013

You don't have to have pets to have fleas. If there is beauty bark outside they live in it you can carry fleas in from outside also if your in an apt your neighbors can have then and they can get in that way. If you want to remain flea free you should put salt on the carpet at least once a month unless you see fleas then at last once a week.

By Cheryl [2]08/26/2012

I use borax, which is available in the detergent isle. It is a laundry additive. Sprinkle it on the carpet, use a brush to get it in the carpet and leave on about 2 weeks and then vacuum it out. It dehydrates the fleas and you should be flea free after 1 to 2 treatments.