Browsing: Using Stencils to Decorate Your Walls

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Using Stencils to Decorate Your Walls

An attractive way to enhance bare walls is with stencils. This guide is about using stencils to decorate your walls.

Using Stencils to Decorate Your Walls
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

November 7, 2007 Flag

Raised Stenciling With SpackleDecorating a wall with joint compound and a stencil.

Approximate Time 4 hours

Instructions:

1. First, make sure wall is clean or painted the color you wish.
  2. Position the stencil to your taste.
  3. Decide if you want to use colorant to your joint compound or Spackle or if you want to paint it after it is done.
  4. If you wish to use the colorant, add it before you start.
  5. Using joint compound or Spackle and a putty knife, paste the compound through the holes of the stencil.
  6. Remove immediately, lifting straight up so not to damage the compound and then let dry completely.
  7. If you use paint, after it has dried completely, paint over the leaves.
  8. If you wish you may also glaze them.

Note: The stencil from VictoriaLarsen.com is a little thicker than the ones you buy in the craft store so that makes the design more raised. However, any stencil will work, it just won't have as much depth. In the picture you see, I used Spackle with white paint.

By Elaine from Belle Plaine, IA

May 8, 2005 Flag

I want to stencil words and phrases and my walls but, I'm not sure how to do this. Should I make my own stenils? Any suggestions or advice?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I agree - an overhead projector would work fine. Perhaps you can borrow one from work, or a school - instead of buying something you may use only once. Projecting them also means you wont have to worry about cutting the stencils and having the letters look funny. You can use elegant fonts and have fun with it.

Why do u need a projecter, least u can use a stencil more than once, and a projecter is very costly""

I saw on a show on tv where you place the stencil on the wall and paint in white glue over the stencil. Let it dry and then paint your wall or if using wood then stain. Where the glue is, it will not let the paint adhere and so your statement comes off one color and the wall color another.. anyone ever try this? I suppose it is like using wax for similar ideas.

For my kitchen cabinets where can I buy stencils?

Read More Answers...
Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating Painting TechniquesOctober 28, 2012
Cleaning Smoke Stains from Walls
Cleaning Smoke Off Walls
A leaf stencil attached to a wall.
Stenciled Craft Project Ideas
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
cleaning walls
Removing Soot from Walls and Ceiling
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 8:51:34 PM on 10.0.0.77 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.