Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Using Stencils to Decorate Your Walls

An attractive way to enhance bare walls is with stencils. This guide is about using stencils to decorate your walls.

November 7, 2007 Flag

Decorating a wall with joint compound and a stencil.

Approximate Time 4 hours

Instructions:

1. First, make sure wall is clean or painted the color you wish.
  2. Position the stencil to your taste.
  3. Decide if you want to use colorant to your joint compound or Spackle or if you want to paint it after it is done.
  4. If you wish to use the colorant, add it before you start.
  5. Using joint compound or Spackle and a putty knife, paste the compound through the holes of the stencil.
  6. Remove immediately, lifting straight up so not to damage the compound and then let dry completely.
  7. If you use paint, after it has dried completely, paint over the leaves.
  8. If you wish you may also glaze them.

Note: The stencil from VictoriaLarsen.com is a little thicker than the ones you buy in the craft store so that makes the design more raised. However, any stencil will work, it just won't have as much depth. In the picture you see, I used Spackle with white paint.

By Elaine from Belle Plaine, IA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

First of all, sorry this is so late with a reply. Somehow this address got blocked in my email.

I would not use it where it could get wet. Even if you use some kind of waterproofing on it, it could come off as joint compound is water soluble. It would be painstaking to varnish over it. I have heard where people have used it on furniture by mixing glue with it. I urge you to go to the website I suggested because there are all kinds of applications that are shown.

May 8, 2005 Flag

I want to stencil words and phrases and my walls but, I'm not sure how to do this. Should I make my own stenils? Any suggestions or advice?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It might be easier and less costly to use a projector to transfer the words to the walls, then you could trace and fill in with color.

avalable at craft and quilt shops. quiltsonline.com has one.

The projector idea is great and eliminates the need for a stencil. But if you decide to go with a stencil, there is a large selection in craft stores or you can use the transparency film used for overhead projectors, found at places like Staples or Office Depot.

I agree - an overhead projector would work fine. Perhaps you can borrow one from work, or a school - instead of buying something you may use only once. Projecting them also means you wont have to worry about cutting the stencils and having the letters look funny. You can use elegant fonts and have fun with it.

Why do u need a projecter, least u can use a stencil more than once, and a projecter is very costly""

I saw on a show on tv where you place the stencil on the wall and paint in white glue over the stencil. Let it dry and then paint your wall or if using wood then stain. Where the glue is, it will not let the paint adhere and so your statement comes off one color and the wall color another.. anyone ever try this? I suppose it is like using wax for similar ideas.

For my kitchen cabinets where can I buy stencils?

Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating Painting TechniquesOctober 28, 2012
Cleaning Smoke Stains from Walls
Cleaning Smoke Off Walls
A leaf stencil attached to a wall.
Stenciled Craft Project Ideas
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
cleaning walls
Removing Soot from Walls and Ceiling
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 26, 2017 at 1:28:29 PM on 10.0.1.151 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.