Using Storage Bags for Freezing

I always wrap whatever I am freezing in plastic wrap anyway, do I really need freezer bags?

By willyburgs from Winder, GA

Answers:

Using Storage Bags for Freezing

It all depends on how long you plan on leaving it in the freezer, if you plan on eating it right away no problem. But the longer it sets the more ice and freezer burn it gets and it will pick up other flavors.

Nothing goes in my freezer unless it is Vacuum-Sealed even if I will use it the next week. I have taken out a piece of meat that's 5 years old and it's as good as the day I put it in the freezer.
(06/22/2009)

By BABBIE

Using Storage Bags for Freezing

The other answer is true, you need air tight bags or the food will not taste good if you let it stay in freezer very long, good luck. (06/23/2009)

By kffrmw88

Using Storage Bags for Freezing

I agree. We always keep a three-pound butter tub for freezing things like spaghetti. Those are pretty airtight. And, even if you're storing something for a couple of weeks or a month, you want to make sure to keep air out. If you can do that with only plastic wrap, more power to you! We've learned from experience, the best plastic wrap is Glad Press-n-Seal. We tried the kind made especially for the freezer, but learned very quickly the regular kind sufficed for us. For extra-secure wrapping, I've been known to wrap items in plastic wrap, then slip them into one of those smallish plastic bags from the grocery store. They're recycled, and free besides! (06/24/2009)

By JustPlainJo

Using Storage Bags for Freezing

My real original question was: Can I save money by using storage bags instead of freezer bag when I freeze something like chicken that I wrap in plastic wrap anyway and then put into a bag for freezing. Storage bags are a good bit cheaper, not rather I need to use a bag at all. (06/25/2009)

By willyburgs

Using Storage Bags for Freezing

So your actual question is do you need to double wrap, that is going to be something you need to determine yourself, as we all said the more air tight the better protection, if your freezing for a very short amount of time just plastic wrap should work, the longer anything is in the freezer the more protection it will need. How you achieve the protection against freezer burn is up to you. (07/04/2009)

By BABBIE

Using Storage Bags for Freezing

If you've been using plastic wrap without any problem, continue to do it. We use the fold-top sandwich baggies and have never had a problem, even with long term storage. (07/04/2009)

By emilykate84

Using Storage Bags for Freezing
Oranges in Mesh Bag
Uses for Mesh Orange Bags
Saving Money On Ziptop Bags, Coins in Zip-Lock Bag
Saving Money On Ziptop Bags
Gift bag made out of a sugar bag craft
Craft Uses for Sugar Bags
Freezing Eggplants, Eggplants on White Background
Freezing Eggplants
🎉
🎄