Using Tennis Balls in the Dryer

Category Laundry
A single tennis ball on a white background
Tennis balls are a great alternative to dryer sheets for softening your laundry as it drys. This is a guide about using tennis balls in the dryer.

To save money and time when drying your clothes, instead of using dryer sheets or dryer balls, put three tennis balls in the dryer with your load. This saves you money by not having to buy dryer sheets and cuts drying time in half. The tennis balls can be used over and over. They also make your clothes softer. I do this every time.

By blueeyes27 from Peru, IN

Top Comment

This does work but it does not take away static - add a ball of crumpled up aluminum foil with the tennis balls and no more static. Also, you can keep reusing the aluminum foil ball. It lasts a long time.

Top Comment

The fact of latex allergies and the tennis balls. The heat of the dryer releases more chemical into the clothing, resulting in more than 1 person's use being contaminated.

So, as a whole, for a single person doing it to their own clothing, maybe fine. But with more and more people having this allergen, it is food for thought.

My latex allergies have popped up in my 50s. Not an issue before. Now the horrible hives, breathing issues, etc. So it is something to consider.

Top Comment

I had used tennis balls for quite some time, but my husband complained that his towels smelled like rubber and I started noticing that some of my clothes had that smell.

Save money on your utility bill by adding a couple of tennis balls to your dryer. It will reduce drying time down 25 to 50%.

By coville123 from Brockville, Ontario

I put three tennis balls in the dryer. It fluffs the clothes and there are fewer wrinkles.

By Deborah from Cape Coral, FL

Top Comment

Hi from Australia,

I have been using this method for years now, it really does work. One little problem, my grandchildren can never find their tennis balls. l o l

Flowerchild

I just read about using tennis balls in your dryer when you dry pillows to let them dry evenly. This also works with down coats.

By Joy from PA

Top Comment

I have also used clean sneakers too. :-)

Trish in CT

I use tennis balls in the dryer to help fluff clothes. They also cut down the drying time. In the preschool classrooms, they are helpful on the bottom of chair legs to alleviate the noise when moving.

By Bonitres from Zion, IL

Is it safe to use tennis balls in the clothes dryer to keep them from balling up?

Jean from Michigan

Answers

Best Answer

Yes they are safe. It is an old trick - my grandmother used to throw 2 or 3 tennis balls into the dryer when I was little. For some reason she had cut a slit into each of them (I remember playing with them by squeezing the sides of a slitted tennis ball so that it would "talk," like a little green Pac Man). But they are safe even new just out of the can. It really cuts down on dryer time, especially with thicker fabrics like towels or jeans, or with fitted sheets that tend to hold wet clothes hostage in their pocketed corners. I noticed a big $ difference when I was in college using quarters in a laundromat.