Using Votive Candles

Category Decorating
Votive Candles
Votive candles are an easy way to add color and light to a room. They are inexpensive and come in any color or scent you might want. This is a guide about using votive candles.

Working nine years for a premium price point lamp manufacturer at the International Home Furnishings Market in High Point was an awesome learning experience. One tip I discovered, although simple, has served me well since I love to burn candles when we entertain.

With over a thousand lamps, candle holders, and decorative accessories to keep in pristine condition throughout the whole market, attention to detail had to be constant and efficient. Each morning when I replaced candles in votive cups in many of their products, I carried a watering pot along with new votive candles. By pouring about one-fourth inch of water in the votive holder before adding the candle, I could easily remove the used candle and any wax that had accumulated before replacing it the next day.

By Sandy B. from Elon, NC

I often buy the little fragrant votive candles while on sale and keep plenty on hand. They just smell so good. I put one in the corner of drawers or boxes that hold clothes or storage items, in the "junk drawer" and file cabinet, etc. It makes things a little more pleasant at no extra cost.

By applejack from KY

I used to put the glass votive candle holders in the freezer to 'pop' out the old candle wax and that works, but I have found a much easier way.

I run about 1 teaspoon of water into the glass votive holder from the faucet, then put it in the microwave for 1 minute. Microwaves vary, so run it long enough to completely melt the old wax. Be careful, it gets very hot!

When it's just cool enough to handle, I simply take a paper towel and wipe it out dry. You're done. You don't even have to wash it because it comes out so clean. Obviously you cannot put a metal votive in the microwave, so the freezer is still a good idea for those.

By Patty from East Peoria, IL

I had a small votive I wanted to redo with a candle of my own. It had melted in the back seat of my car on the way home. Knowing that candles freeze and then last longer, I thought "what do I have to lose"?

After just an afternoon in the freezer, I took it out and the melted candle came out like it wasn't ever "one with the glass". Now I have the pretty glass votive for my own candle. This works great if you have gum stuck to your clothes, too, by the way!

By Poor But Proud from Salem, OR