Using Wall Spackle

Category Walls
woman sparkling wall
Drywall mud or sparkle can be used to create a smooth surface by filling holes and other damage. This is a guide about using wall spackle.

Close tightly and put in a plastic container with a tight-fitting lid. I used one that contained soup from a takeout place.

Source: Salesperson at Home Depot

For home repairs on wallboard done easily and inexpensively, you might want to try this technique as many of us have a block of scrap wood available to do this job.

After using plaster of paris to cover wallboard nails and any dings, nail holes, etc. sufficiently, I took a scrap of pine wood sawed to fit the size of hand and gently rubbed over the surface of the dried plaster of paris. This worked the plaster on the wallboard as smooth as though sandpaper was used and it didn't cost me a dime.

Just be sure you do not dig in the plaster, but lay the wood flat and work in circular motion until smooth. One side of the block of wood is rougher and could be used as coarse grit and the other side of the wood block is smoother and could be used as fine grit.

By lorelei from Georgetown, OH

We live in an old house that has many coats of paint on the inside walls. We painted the walls taupe and left the ceilings white.

I want to spruce up the house and there are chips out of the paint on walls, corners, etc. that show these paint colors that are buried under our paint.

Can anyone tell me how I go about filling in these gouges and indentations with my taupe paint? I'm not handy. Sometimes the chip has left a little indentation where I have to paint. Do I fill it with Spackle of some kind? Can you tell me what kind of Spackle to use please?

Thanks very much.

By metroplex from Houston, TX, USA

Best Answer

I always have a small can of spackle on hand, You can buy it at WalMart. I use it whenever I change where I have things hanging on the walls in my apartment. I just use the tip of my finger and smear it on. The spackles that I have used in the past go on colored and dry white or off-white. You only want to buy a really small can, because you don't need much and I have had it dry out sometimes, because it lasts too long.

Anonymous
Best Answer

Now for this project you should use the fluffy type of Spackle. Chip away any more of the loose paint chipping around those spots and just use one of those inexpensive plastic spackling spatulas to apply and smooth. Being that it is just chipping paint around those spots you should be able to smooth that spot out well enough using the spatula that you won't need to sand. Then just paint after a day of drying. Actually, I've even cheated and touch up painted after just a couple of hours of drying when it was necessary to get 'er done quickly. ;-)