Using Yogurt for Yeast Infections in Pets' Ears

Some time ago, I read that you can give your cat or dog small amounts of yogurt to help control yeast infections on the ears. I read it should be plain, but I cannot find small containers of plain yogurt in my local supermarket. Is there any other flavor that would work as well? I only have 1 cat to use it on and probably would not use it for anything else, so it would spoil before using it all.

By Sharon

Closeup of grey and black tabby cat sitting on a desk

I don't know if you live in a really small town or have limited access to supermarkets, but surely ONE supermarket in your area has plain yogurt. Granted, there isn't much of it in most stores, but at least some groceries carry it. Walmart has plain yogurt. And health food stores carry it, although it tends to be expensive. As a last resort, you could consider making it. It isn't too hard to do. Probably you need yogurt with cultures in it, that is even harder to come by in regular stores.

You can take what is left of the yogurt and mix in some peanut butter or leave it plain and freeze it in ice cube trays. Makes a great treat in the summer time.

Have you thought of taking out what you expect to use for the cat, mix some fruit and a bit of sugar, or sugar substitute, into the rest, and eat it. It really is very good, and good for you. Loretta from Theodore, AL

Did you know that you can use plain yogurt pretty much as you'd use sour cream on baked potato, in mashed potatoes along with butter, salt and pepper, and to make the best fruit smoothies you ever tasted.

The largest size we can buy is a quart I think, (maybe it's a little less than a quart) and I use plain yogurt to make great Ranch Dressing (just add one of the dry packets of Ranch Dressing to 16 ounces of plain yogurt), and it'll keep for a good week in the refrigerator.

It makes a wonderful cooling facial mask for hot summer days, and if the baby has heat rash, pat some directly on the rash.

Hope this helps you. Your kitty deserves to feel better too, and maybe you won't have to waste any at all if these suggestions sound good to you.

I feed vanilla yogurt to my cat all the time. Not a lot at a time but fairly frequently. She was really sick a few months ago, close to dying, and she licked yogurt and olive oil. That's all she would eat and it kept her alive until the steroids kicked in. She's very much improved but might not be around too much longer (she's 15) and the only bad thing about the yogurt is it can give loose bowel movements. But now that she's eating it along with other foods, there's no problem. I really don't think vanilla yogurt would be a bad thing for your cat and would try a little at a time. I have 4 cats and she's the only one who really likes it so I hope yours does too.

my cat tinkerbell will eat any flavor and no more flavor than any of them have in them I don't think it will hurt. If you make biscuits or bread use the yogurt and in cooking also. Oh by the way my cat also eats veggies.

Will Feeding My Cat Yogurt Help With Yeast Infection in the Ears?
Pets CatsJune 13, 2011
A yeast free cheese pizza.
No Yeast Pizza Dough Recipes
Mug of slighty lumpy Greek yogurt.
Greek Yogurt Recipes
Bowl of plain  yogurt.
Low Fat Yogurt Recipes
Homemade yogurt in jars.
Using an EasiYo Yogurt Maker