Using Your Cellphone in An Emergency

Category Personal
Calling 911 With Cell Phone
Besides making an important call, a cellphone can be helpful in an emergency. This guide is about using your cellphone in an emergency.

With so many numbers to remember, here's a great way to keep it simple. If you have a number that is difficult to remember: a pin number, lock combination or ID number, hide it on your phone! Make an entry in your cell phone's contact list for a made-up name. (Make sure you won't confuse it with someone else!) Turn the number into a phone number. Place it at the front, middle or end of the number, put it in backwards or make it only every other number for extra security. Log it as your "friend's" number. This way, you'll have it at hand without giving it away. Even if your phone is lost or stolen, no one will know your secret.

Don't have a cell? Use the same trick to add the number to your address book!

By Anda from Knoxville, TN

By now you may all know about programming "ICE" in your cell phones, but have you also done something similar for your elderly parents?

Just in case you don't know what ICE is, this was an idea that was pushed in some parts of the country several years ago. The idea is that if you are ever sick or injured, rescue personnel usually check your cell phone for someone to contact, many of the bigger cities emergency responders automatically check for ICE - which means "In Case Of Emergency". If you program the people you want called under the category of ICE, they will know to call that number.

For example, I programmed my phone with: ICE-Matt (husband), then added my husband's phone numbers. I also have my daughter listed. Since I spend a long time in the summer in Arizona at my mom's, I also have her programmed as: ICE-Mom(AZ#), so she will be the 1st one called if something happens while I'm out there. I've also programmed my husband's and kid's cell phones the same.

Then it dawned on me a few years ago that while my mom and mother-in-law both used cell phones, neither one of them could even access their voice mail, let alone program a number into it. So the next time I went to visit, I programmed both of their cell phones with "ICE" contacts of both family and in-town friends. A couple of years ago when my step-dad passed away, I went through my mom's home telephone and added ICE numbers to that also. If anything happens to her (if she is becomes ill, falls, etc.), emergency responders and neighbors will be able to easily contact us. My father-in-law passed away this fall, so when I go out to visit this summer I plan to program my mother-in-law's home phone with emergency numbers also.

This gives me a little peace of mind knowing that if something happens to either one of them, it will be easier for someone to contact me.

By Judy from Tulsa, OK

Have you ever noticed that when the power goes out, it always seems "extra dark", even if it occurs during the day? Almost makes it impossible to look up the number for the power company in the phone book.

My solution is to save the power company phone number in my cell phone, then under the name I have abbreviated the power companies name, followed by my account number.

No more straining my eyes in the dark, or having to take the phone book or a bill outside to read it with the car lights, it's all in my phone.

By April from NW, MO

As I was stumbling through the dark looking for the first light switch on my way through the house, I realized that my cell phone was still lit. It was amazing how helpful that little thing was in providing just enough light.

Emergency personnel will look in your cell phone to see if you have an emergency listing if needed. It is suggested that you enter your emergency contact under ICE (In case of emergency). This is the first place they will look.

It is called ICE (In Case of Emergency). We all carry our mobile phones with names and numbers stored in its memory but nobody, other than ourselves, knows which of these numbers belong to our closest family or friends. If we were to be involved in an accident or were taken ill, the people attending us would have our mobile phone but wouldn't know who to call. Which number is the contact person in case of an emergency?

So you're on you're way home and you get into an accident or your car breaks down. You're trapped in your car. You have no way out. You can't afford cell phone service. What do you do? Did you know that if you keep any cell phone new or old charged even WITHOUT paying for service that you can dial a 911 call in case of emergencies to get the help you need.

Paramedics will turn to a victim's cell phone for clues to that person's identity. You can make their job much easier with a simple idea that they are trying to get everyone to adopt: ICE.

ICE stands for In Case of Emergency. If you add an entry in the contacts list in your cell phone under ICE, with the name and phone no. of the person that the emergency services should call on your behalf, you can save them a lot of time and have your loved ones contacted quickly. It only takes a few moments of your time to do.

Paramedics know what ICE means and they look for it immediately. ICE your cell phone NOW! If you have more than one emergency number put ICE1, ICE2, etc.

Please pass this one along

By Tracey

Answers:

ICE - In Case of Emergency

Excellent idea but EMS does not go through your personal items when on a scene. Our first priority is the patient.

Adding to the idea of ICE- add the person's name we are calling.
Second at the beginning of names in a cell phone add their title- such as Mom with her name after or husband- with his name. There is nothing worse than having to calls someone, tell them bad news and not know their name.

Another thought- which has been a life saver- is placing your own name inside your cell phone. I've seen it in the menu of names- Me with name and address. Some phones have note areas where you can include allergies. A quick way of accomplishing this is inside the battery cover placing a return mailing label.

Thanks
(08/16/2005)

By