Using a Blender

Category Kitchen Tools
Using a Blender
This is a guide about using a blender. A versatile kitchen tool that can be used for a wide variety of food processing.

If you break your blender jar, you can replace it with a quart size mason jar.

Source: Real Simple.com

Will making paper in the blender damage the blender? I have a $150 blender so am loathe to fill it with paper if it will burn out the motor.

Katherine

I have been making paper for a while now. I judge by the sound of my blender and the consistancy of the pulp, to figure out when to add to the mix. If you are new to this I would save such an expensive blender for margaritas and go to the thrift store for a 5.00 blender, they say that once you use your blender for paper use it only for paper. So get a cheapy and have fun with your new hobby. :)

I agree with dpool. I bought a $10 blender from Walgreens to do my paper in.

I wouldn't think it would ruin your other one, but I think I'd rather ruin a $10 one than my $100 blender/food processor.

I'm with dpool and cfbandit. It's 2 birds with one stone - no one will accidentally drink your paper blend and you'll be helping out Goodwill.

I agree...save your good one for Margarita's and go to a garage sale or a cheepie store for one just for paper making! Why chance it ?

Hi, It should not hurt it if you tear the strips about 3/4" wide and rip them in half and then blend them in plenty of water. Just don't do too many at a time. I picked up a used blender at a Goodwill store for my paper pulp making. Also, I have heard of people who heat up the paper strips in a pot of almost boiling water before the blender step. Happy pulp making!

If you use water and make it in batches, the motor will be fine, although paper will dull a blender's blades. (Any good tailor will tell you not to cut paper with your good scissors for that same reason.) So, if you plan to use the blender for anything else later, it won't be as efficient as it once was. Your best bet is to buy a cheap one to use for paper, or contact the manufacturer to buy an extra blade assembly.