Using a Daily Planner or Pocket Calendar

Using a Daily Planner
If you prefer to organize your schedule on paper rather then electronically, some tips might make that even easier. This is a guide about using a daily planner or pocket calendar.

I know people who are pretty scattered in their thinking and life. I suggest that people get a daily planner. You can make your own. Just get a notebook and each page is a day. Put in at least 30 days. Start with today, put down everything you have to do today. Also put down duties for tomorrow and the next day. And so on. Put down your appointments for that whole month.

In the mornings, plan what to do that day. When you accomplish that job, scratch it off. Then do the next thing on your list. When accomplished, scratch that off your list. It will give you a sense of accomplishment and also keep your life more organized. When new things come up, add them to the appropriate day. So all you have to remember in the morning is to take your book with you wherever you go, instead of trying to remember all the things in your head making your life a turmoil and confusing.

By Phyllis from Weldon, CA

I can't remember my busy schedule without a calendar book. I like the ones with only one year per book. These can be expensive, but I found them at the Dollar Store and they are perfect for my purse. As soon as I get the new one, I go through the old one and transfer all my birthdays/anniversaries. Should I miss a date transfer, I can check the old book since I save them from year to year by putting them with my tax records.

By Irene W. from Lancaster, PA

It's time to get out the pocket calendars/planners for the New Year. I like to use an interim calendar from one of the ones I get from advertisers through January, until I find a good deal on a pocket calendar book on sale. (I used to use those little Hallmark ones from the card stores. Do they still make those?) I customize these advertisement pocket calendars by gluing on art/graphics I have cut out and then covering them with clear contact paper.

Once I get the more 'permanent' calendar, I can slip the smaller one in with the 'better' one, as the ad calendars are the monthly kind, which gives me an overview of my schedule, while the details go into the 'better' pocket calendar where there is more room.

By Pamphyila from Los Angeles, CA

My planner book was nice, but didn't come with a marking ribbon for the date, as my old one did. So I found a bit of ribbon and taped it inside the back cover, and now I have a ribbon marker which makes the day so much easier to find!

By pamphyila from Los Angeles