Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Using a Water Heater Timer

There are times of the day and night when you do not use hot water. A timer can turn off the heater when you do not need it, and save you money. This is a guide about using a water heater timer.

November 12, 2010 Flag

Why heat your water for 24 hours? Just install a Hot water heater timer purchased from Lowes. Set the timer for 1 hour before rising in the morning, preferably during non peak hours as designated by Utility and for 1 hour in the evening prior to taking showers and baths, (after Utility peak hours). On Saturday, or laundry day, place the manual setting "on" for laundry day. As the timer cycles it will automatically go back to the timed settings. You can maintain the temperature at 120 degrees while saving money.

Source: Info received from Lows Water Heater Timer packaging years ago.

By Larry from FL

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

We have used a time on our water heater for years. We have it set for early in the morning then again in the evening. During Hurricane Gustauv when the power was out we had warm water for a shower 2 days later. And our old water heater and our new one only takes about 10 minutes to get really hot. Why don't you try turning the power off to your water heater for a day or so and see how long the hot water lasts. I bet you'll be surprised. Do it on a day when you don't have laundry to do.

November 25, 2009 Flag

As a single mother in 1980, necessity became the mother of invention for me. I had a house built with passive solar windows, and all electric heat, kitchen and water heater.

My Frugal LifeAt $6.50 an hour, one week of electric heat and not using the wood burning stove, shot my electric bill up to $350.00 for a month.

As I had just used the electric heat for a week spent away in another state, it just taught me to not go away except for emergencies in the winter. The kids and I could keep the wood stove burning most evenings and nights and even cook on it, when the electric went out for sometimes 2-3 days at a time.

The normal electric bill ran about $120 a month, in 1981 and that was just kitchen and water heater use. So when a friend suggested a electric timer for the heater, after I told him I couldn't afford the energy solar panels cost, though there was a tax credit at the time. I went to Sears and purchased a $6.00 electric timer for the water heater.

Immediately, my monthly bill was reduced by approximately $30.00. Even working night shift, and the kids in and out of the house during the evening and day; about 8 hours could be always eliminated from the schedule when hot water was not needed.

Since then I have bought a new energy efficient 80 gallon water heater, thinking that I would rent out rooms after the kids finished college. Put a new timer on the larger heater, and with the reduced number of people in the house, increased size of the heater, but energy efficiency aspect built in. I now pay about 75% less in electric, than I did in 1982.

Of course other things have been replaced and improved upon, but the little electric timer has probably saved me the most and the most immediately, in monthly utility costs for over a 29 year period. Last week, while have the new energy efficient propane furnace checked, I had my third timer put on by a licensed plumber. The labor cost a little more, but at least now it is up to code and good for hopefully another 10 years.

When I asked the plumber why the schools and public buildings didn't use timers to save tax dollars, he said they could do it even on boilers etc, but would rather waster money on all the new Green Technology. Seems to me Green Technology should include dollar investment, vs monthly savings and recouping the costs in the long run. If you have lived through the two big energy crisis of the last 30 years, you know that it is knowledge that is power, not Don Quixote windmills.

Elijah3 from Sandia Park, NM

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here: http://www.thriftyfun.com/post_myfrugallife.ldml

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Be very very careful doing this. This can prompt growth of some types of bacteria. Legionears disease is sometimes spread this way. Several years ago a daycare center in Kansas City did this and numerous kids and adults were very very ill from drinking the water as it had bacteria in it from the heat being off and on. In that case, if I remember correctly the heater was turned off overnight and on weekends.

man maintaining a water heater
Saving Money on Heating Water
Better Living Green Living Conservation EnergyAugust 7, 2014
Cleaning a Water Heater
Cleaning a Water Heater
Water Heater
Does My Water Heater Need To Be Replaced?
Water Heater
Troubleshooting a Water Heater
Maintaining Your Water Heater
Maintaining Your Water Heater
👒
🐰
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 18, 2017 at 5:25:12 PM on 10.0.0.98 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.