Using a Wireless Pet Fence

Wireless Pet Fence
There are a number of decisions to make before considering this type of invisible fence for your dog. This is a guide about using a wireless pet fence.

I am thinking of getting an invisible electric fence for my dogs. (I have four lab/bull terrier mixes and a beagle). I would like any tips or advice on what kind to get, what to do and not to do, etc. I don't want to waste money, so any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Our neighbors down the road just installed an invisible fence for three dogs thinking that it would be wonderful if they could be out in the yard with their dogs off leash as we do with our (naturally clingy and very well behaved) dog. They were realistic about being able to train their dogs to drop pursuit as ours does and didn't want to mar their yard with a fence.

The training was intensive, but worked well....until the children from a few houses down started to wander into the yard every time they see the "puppies!" outside. Unfortunately, invisible fences don't keep unsupervised children and crazy neighbors out. The dogs as a result are rarely outside off the lead, we live in a high foot traffic part of town and you never know who will decide to wander into the backyard.

If you have some space in your yard and know the neighbors well I think an invisible fence can be a great thing (especially with five dogs that LOVE to play)... just keep in mind that it won't keep people (or stray animals) out.

The Invisible fence did not work for our two dogs. Our 60-70lbs dogs learned quickly to walk with their necks down low (like they were sniffing the ground). Because of this the contacts on collar would not touch their skin as they walked right over the invisible fence. Tightening of the collar did not fix this problem.

Hi, we have an invisible fence and we love it. It does not keep other dogs/animals out though! We had one with the wire that runs around the perimeter. DON'T get one of those. Get the wireless system. It is very effective! You can set it high for stubborn dogs and low for layed back ones. It will correct them for 30 seconds or until they come back in the yard. It only takes a couple of times of hearing the warning beep and getting a corrective zap. There are very thorough instructions. We got ours from Home Depot but they are cheaper on ebay as are the extra collars and batteries. Extra collars (they come in different sizes) are around $50 and the batteries are about $5 each (at Home Depot here). I would highly recommend the PetSafe system. hope this is helpful. Blessings to you!

Any of the 'invisible' fences MAY keep your dogs contained, but they WON'T keep other dogs, coyotes, wolves, etc out!

I've had an invisible fence for our two lab dogs for over a year. I would only recommend it as a back up to an actual physical fence. Our dogs were digging out under the wooden fence. That's why we put in the invisible fence. It works great this way. We have the PetSafe brand. We have a neighbor who only has the invisible fence and no physical fence. Her dog chases people and other dogs without giving a thought to the correction from the invisible fence. In our area these fences are not recognized as legal confinement. You should check your city's local ordinances first. These fences are not 100% confinement. Most dogs will run through them if there's something that attracts their attention. I would fear for my dogs' safety with only an invisible fence. Nothing takes the place of a physical fence! Also, the invisible fences do have their problems. The wire can break or as in our case, mice chewed through them! Finding these breaks is not easy even with the special locators you have to buy. And, one more thing, the receiver collars themselves are expensive to replace when they are damaged. I would strongly urge you to not get the invisible fence. Sorry.

I'm a dog trainer and can offer you some advice that seems missing from the previous posts.

If you choose this punishment-based approach, then you should factor in animal behaviourist fees as well as any lawsuits. Dogs learn by association and problems can arise easily if the dogs connect the pain with something else, such as children. Dog sees children. Dog loves children and wants to play. Dog gets zapped. Dog learns to dislike or fear children. One day dog bites children in anticipation of the pain.

Oh, and turning up the pain to high isn't a logical solution. If the dog doesn't respond to a physical correction, then doing more of the same doesn't really make a whole lot of sense. They'll just learn to tolerate more to get what they want. Ever see dogs pulling hard with choke collars on? To the point where they gag themselves? They are willing to put up with a lot to get what they want (i.e. a walk outside).

Also consider the malfunctioning of these collars. There are cases where the collars have burned holes into dog's necks, haven't shut off, zap for no reason, etc.

My advice: get a real fence.

My dog learned to sit down and scratch her collar until it turned to the side, so that no correction was delivered (this was a bark collar). One other thing the electric fence won't do is: prevent theft of the dog. Dogs of all breeds are worth money on the street to people who feed small dogs to their pit bulls to make them braver. So I've heard. Sorry for the horrible visual, I am so appalled at illegal dog fighting.

I don't like them at all. They won't protect you pet from animals coming in and attacking them. Remember your dogs is the only one that can't get out.....others can come in. Also, if they see a rabbit, squirrel, another dog, they are out of there. Some dogs don't care about how badly they get shocked. They take that risk. I saw a dog get hurt becasue other animals could get in. Just my opinion.

How do German Shepherd/Husky mixes do on wireless fences?

By Chrissy B