Using an Egg Substitute

Category Substitutions
Liquid eggs in a bowl
Some recipes call for using an egg substitute rather than whole eggs. This is a guide about using an egg substitute.

In most recipes calling for egg substitute, you can use 2 egg whites in place of 1 egg substitute. Just break the eggs open and toss the yolks away. I know that sounds wasteful, but consider the price of egg substitute. The package of egg substitute usually has the equivalent of four eggs in it. When you compare that price with the price of a dozen of eggs, from which you'd get the equivalent of 6 egg substitutes, it makes sense.

Keeping healthy through healthy eating saves money on doctor visits and medication. Its a win win situation.

Source: "Cooking with a Man in Mind" by JoAnna M. Lund.

By Carol from Wyoming, PA

I need to know what changes to make when using the egg replacer. I used a regular cake mix and subbed the egg. The cake looked good but was gooey when you ate it. Any suggestions?

Dianne

Best Answer

My husband has high cholesterol, so I always use egg beaters. Just make sure you accurately measure 1/4 cup per egg in the recipe.

I also omit the oils in a lot baking recipes. Like brownies, just add water and the egg beaters and the brownies come out soft and chewy.

No one will ever know they are good for them. When using the 1/4 cup to 1 egg rule, you should see no difference in the outcome of the recipe. Just better health results!

I have recipes that call for egg substitute. I was wondering if anyone know what the ratio of egg substitute=1 egg, if they are interchangeable, as we do not use egg substitute.

jmz2005 from Illinois

Answers:

Using an Egg Substitute

I believe 1/4 cup of the liquid egg substitute is equal to one egg. (08/15/2006)

By Bonnie

Using an Egg Substitute

1/4 cup = 1 egg (08/15/2006)

By amyscrafts68

Using an Egg Substitute

My egg substitute carton says 1/4 cup is equal to one egg, so the above is correct. Good luck (08/18/2006)

By Karen