Venting Your Dryer Inside

Additional heat and moisture will be added to your home if your dryer is not vented outside. This guide is about venting your dryer inside.

clothes dryer
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

February 2, 2010 Flag

Save some money on heat this winter. Vent your electric clothes dryer inside in the winter! Not only will you recover all the heat normally pumped outside but you'll be adding humidity to the air.

Simply disconnect the venting pipe to the outside and install a separate 4 inch aluminum flexible vent pipe. Bring the pipe up behind the dryer and extend it over the top so you can reach it. Put a knee high stocking over the end to catch the lint. Be sure to insulate (like stuff an old towel) in the opening to the outside for the rest of the season.

Source: My Dad had showed me this years ago.

By Jim from Cleveland, OH

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 14, 2013 Flag

I have a gas dyer and I need to vent it inside the house. I am aware of the heat and lint issue and extra humidity in the room. How do I vent it?

By Jim

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Some people have had luck with putting the hose inside a glass 1 gallon jar, but you have to watch it so it gets emptied often. Perhaps a sign on the dryer? Good luck. Here's a link that will help.

Every search result says that venting a gas dryer indoors is deadly.

Every home improvement show on the TV says all types of dryers should be vented to the outdoors. I doubt that it is safe to do otherwise. You should check building codes in your area, and also visit your local hardware stores for kits to do the job. What you should not do is cobble together something based on some random advice from people who really know nothing about the issue.

Electric dryers can be vented indoors. It's not safe to vent a gas dryer indoors.

Read More Answers...

June 26, 2008 Flag

What are the dangers of venting an electric dryer indoors?

Kathy from OH

I know that venting a GAS dryer indoors would be extremely dangerous, because of carbon monoxide it produces.

Venting an electric dryer indoors would cause heat and moisture to accumulate inside, but there could be times when that it very desirable, like when it is 20 degrees outside, and the air indoors is extremely dry because the home is heated with a forced air heating system.

It seems to me that the warm moist air from the ELECTRIC dryer exhaust is exactly what is missing from the indoor air UNDER THESE CONDITIONS.

Any additional thoughts on this premise? Hidden hazards I am not thinking of?

I just last night found out that the remodel done 5 yrs. ago on my basement where the laundry room was relocated did NOT have the dryer vented outside. I found the other end of the hose just lying on the floor on the other side of the wall in my furnace closet. It had some little plastic vented cap on it so it was no accident. Do I have recourse against the construction company? I am very alarmed at what I'm reading about this, as it is a GAS dryer.

Does this bucket cause moisture?

Snoozer's solution looks like a bigger version of what I paid money for. I lived with an electric dryer vented using a vent kit for years. Worked really well. It did add needed humidity to my basement and helped it stay warmer in winter. I'd do it again if I didn' have an outside vent. I don't think this is a solution for a gas dryer.

Read More Answers...

July 2, 2013 Flag

I lived with an electric dryer vented inside for about 16 years. It worked for me. I have a tenant living with one. Works for him too. You have to keep the cup filled with water in the type that I am familiar with. It was not problem and worked very well.

I don't believe this is a solution for a gas dryer.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Major AppliancesMay 21, 2013
    Photo of an angel craft made form used dryer sheets.
    Making Dryer Sheet Angels
    Dryer Sheets
    Are Dryer Sheets Safe for Birds?
    kitchen drain
    Gurgling Drains
    Removing Condensation from Inside a Watch
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 19, 2016 at 5:56:45 PM on 10.0.2.135 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.