Venting Your Dryer Inside

Additional heat and moisture will be added to your home if your dryer is not vented outside. This guide is about venting your dryer inside.

Save some money on heat this winter. Vent your electric clothes dryer inside in the winter! Not only will you recover all the heat normally pumped outside but you'll be adding humidity to the air.

Simply disconnect the venting pipe to the outside and install a separate 4 inch aluminum flexible vent pipe. Bring the pipe up behind the dryer and extend it over the top so you can reach it. Put a knee high stocking over the end to catch the lint. Be sure to insulate (like stuff an old towel) in the opening to the outside for the rest of the season.

Source: My Dad had showed me this years ago.

By Jim from Cleveland, OH

We tried this in the past, but moisture formed on our wooden rafters. Bad idea.

I lived with an electric dryer vented inside for about 16 years. It worked for me. I have a tenant living with one. Works for him too. You have to keep the cup filled with water in the type that I am familiar with. It was not problem and worked very well.

I don't believe this is a solution for a gas dryer.

I've vented my electric dryer with an indoor kit for the last few years (dryer is located in the garage). It works great! The kit cost about $10. The container that traps the lint holds a couple of inches of water so the lint that blows into it will cling to the water and not blow out. It is a little messy to clean out (I dump mine out about every 2 weeks), but my dryer works much better, since it no longer needs an extra 15 feet of dryer duct to vent outside. Remember, this type of venting is ONLY FOR AN ELECTRIC DRYER!!

I have a gas dyer and I need to vent it inside the house. I am aware of the heat and lint issue and extra humidity in the room. How do I vent it?

By Jim

Do a web search for indoor dryer vent. Home Depot and such stores carry kits for this. I have seen them advertised, and it supposedly isn't that bad an idea.

Some people have had luck with putting the hose inside a glass 1 gallon jar, but you have to watch it so it gets emptied often. Perhaps a sign on the dryer? Good luck. Here's a link that will help.

Every search result says that venting a gas dryer indoors is deadly.

Every home improvement show on the TV says all types of dryers should be vented to the outdoors. I doubt that it is safe to do otherwise. You should check building codes in your area, and also visit your local hardware stores for kits to do the job. What you should not do is cobble together something based on some random advice from people who really know nothing about the issue.

Electric dryers can be vented indoors. It's not safe to vent a gas dryer indoors.

You can NEVER vent a gas dryer indoors! Unless you are wanting to die...

Anonymous

I wouldnt do that. Gas burns creating carbon monoxide. Good way to never wake up after taking a nap after doibg laundry.

Gas dryers should never be vented inside. In addition to the hot moist air and lint, the vent from a gas dryer contains the combustion products of the gas fuel! The national codes have exceptions for interior venting of condensing type dryers. Some states allow electric dryers to vent to interior spaces. For electric dryers, the dryer vent trap should be free of damage and the termination of the venting should be a commercial interior dryer vent kit. In summary: Do not vent a gas dryer inside!

What are the dangers of venting an electric dryer indoors?

Kathy from OH

When I was younger I moved in to a house we'd just bought & started using the electric dryer without bothering to vent it to the outside & guess what!? The mirrors in the WHOLE house steamed TOTALLY up & everything was damp everywhere in the house... It left a very moist & somewhat warm foggy feeling in the house. This was not cool in the least, so I quickly got the dryer vented properly because I feared I was causing dangerous mold spores to grow (from the warm damp air) inside the bedding, sofa, carpeting & it's under-pad... It also isn't good for anyone with allergies... And I bet it's acutally dangerous if you have a gas powered dryer, because of possible carbon dioxide & gas fumes.

* If you live in a dry area (Like Arizona) you could open the windows & run a load or two, (If you REALLY need some clean clothes before you can get it hooked up) this wouldn't hurt anything, but I wouldn't do it on a regular basis. Also, be sure to have your dryer hooked up properly, because if you use a plastic vent hose & not the fire-resistant metal type, then if lint gets stuck in a kink or bend of the line a nasty house fire might start!

I used my dryer a few times when the hose became disconnected, & saw mold spores. It was very damp. I don't think it's a good idea at all.

I just had to comment regarding snoozer55's suggestion. It's a well intended suggestion but please be very careful!

Dryers pose significant & very real fire (due to lint) & health (due to mold) risks. That's why building codes are so specific about dryer venting.

It's critical to avoid restricting the airflow (you're not even suppose to allow sheet metal screws to protrude into the vent). And it's obvious from the picture there is not enough exhaust holes to allow proper venting.

This would never pass code, permits more than enough moisture to form mold, will increase the time it takes to dry your clothes, & is a maintenance headache. But if you're inclined to do this, at the very least cut large 4" holes & optionally attach coarse stainless steel screen.

BTW, I commend snoozer's ingenuity & completely agree there should be a better solution, like some sort of a heat exchanger & condenser unit. It's a shame to waste the heat & water.

Good luck!

What about all the moisture what do you do about that? Does the bucket catch a lot of it?

I know that venting a GAS dryer indoors would be extremely dangerous, because of carbon monoxide it produces.

Venting an electric dryer indoors would cause heat and moisture to accumulate inside ...but there could be times when that it very desirable, like when it is 20 degrees outside, and the air indoors is extremely dry because the home is heated with a forced air heating system.

It seems to me that the warm moist air from the ELECTRIC dryer exhaust is exactly what is missing from the indoor air UNDER THESE CONDITIONS.

Any additional thoughts on this premise? Hidden hazards I am not thinking of ?

Venting an electric dryer indoors would cause heat and moisture to accumulate inside, but there could be times when that it very desirable, like when it is 20 degrees outside, and the air indoors is extremely dry because the home is heated with a forced air heating system.

Any additional thoughts on this premise? Hidden hazards I am not thinking of?

I just last night found out that the remodel done 5 yrs. ago on my basement where the laundry room was relocated did NOT have the dryer vented outside. I found the other end of the hose just lying on the floor on the other side of the wall in my furnace closet. It had some little plastic vented cap on it so it was no accident. Do I have recourse against the construction company? I am very alarmed at what I'm reading about this, as it is a GAS dryer.

Does this bucket cause moisture?

My clothes dryer is NOT vented to the outside of my house. I have been using a vent box that I have to try to remember to put water in that is supposed to catch the lint. Needless to say, it doesn't do a very effective job, even when I do manage to remember to refill it. Even though the dryer is in the garage, it still makes a mess with the lint flying around everywhere. Does anyone have any other suggestions or know of any new contraptions that may help catch more of the lint? Of course we want it to be safe too. Venting to the outside isn't an option at this time. What were they thinking when they built it like that?

Thanks for any input!

Angie from Bham, AL

Answers:

Venting a Dryer Inside

Use an old pair of panty hose! Just cut off a leg below the knee and attach it with a large rubber band or something else that will keep it secure to your hose. The lint will be caught in the hose, but the air will be able to blow through. (03/29/2007)

By glowgirl

Venting a Dryer Inside

Try putting a knee hi on the end of your vent hose. It should catch the majority of any wayward lint.

God Bless! (03/29/2007)

By GrammySheila

Venting a Dryer Inside

Put a knee high pantyhose over the vent. (03/29/2007)

By Lois

Venting a Dryer Inside

Though my dryer is vented to the outside the lint was collecting in my flower bed. I put a knee high on the vent to collect the lint. I had some problems with the dryer and the electrician that came to repair it had an absolute fit when he saw the knee high. He said it was a fire hazard and should be removed immediately. (03/29/2007)

By Dianne

Venting a Dryer Inside

I have used the Knee High/Panty hose arrangement for years as did my mother before me. The secret to a NON fire hazard is Change the Stocking as soon as you can see it is half to three/quarters full to insure you get proper airflow and don't forget to vacuum out the inside of the dryer where the lint goes to the vent. Sometimes you need a paper towel roll to fit in the opening but do vacuum it regularly. Wet lint does not always make it to the vent hose! (03/29/2007)

By SalTCBug

Venting a Dryer Inside

no no no don't use a stocking! My dryer vents to our enclosed porch, so here's what I made.

Get a 5-gallon bucket that has a lid. Get a dryer hose extension, the flexible plastic kind, cost is about $5.
Cut a hole in the bucket lid that you can insert the end of the extension vent hose into. I used my dremel multi-tool with a cutting bit to make a pretty good circle, one that the vent hose end would just fit into.

On the bucket, drill holes around the upper half all the way around. Make plenty of holes, because the vent will go into the lid, which will be on top of the bucket, and you want it to "breathe."
Fill the bucket halfway up with water. This catches the lint and helps keep it cool. Just make sure you have at least 2 rows of holes drilled all around the top rim of the bucket.
You will have to empty the bucket now & then, depending on how much laundry you do. (04/22/2008)

By snoozer55

RE: Venting a Dryer Inside