Vetkoek Recipe

Category International
Vetkoek Recipe
This South African fried bread is relatively simple to make and may quickly become a family favorite. It can even be made gluten free. This is a guide about vetkoek recipe.

Vetkoek (fried dough bread) is another well-loved part of our South African food heritage. Whenever we have church bazaars, you can bet your bottom dollar that vetkoek will be sold at one of the food stalls. It can be served with savory mince, or cheese and honey, or cheese and jam.

When I was forced to go gluten-free (due to health concerns), it was one of the first recipes that I played around with until I managed to come up with a good gluten-free version. Here goes...

Total Time: 20 minutes

Yield: 6-7 vetkoek, depending on the size

• 1 cup Health Connection gluten free self-raising cake flour
  • 1/2 cup soda water (carbonated water)
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 egg
  • cooking oil

1. Sift together the flour and salt.
  2. Add the egg and soda water. Mix all the ingredients together to get a smooth batter.
  3. Add enough oil to a pan so that the oil will measure 1cm up the side of the pan. Place over medium-high heat and heat the oil.
  4. Drop spoonfuls of batter in the warm oil and fry until golden brown on both sides.
  5. Allow to cool down a bit, before serving with mince, or with butter, cheese and honey.
  6. Ad

Where from South Africa are you? The name of the bread sounds very German to me. Do you know what it means? I would try it except that having to fry it sounds rather labor intensive, especially the clean up. I'm from 'low german' culture, and this sounds likes it's really delicious. I am keeping the recipe, for when I get inspired.

Hi Carolyn! A literal translation will be fat (vet) cake (koek). I am from Afrikaans origin, and vetkoek is part of our food culture. It is not really as labor intensive as it sounds, especially if you only serve it with cheese and jam. Had some for breakfast just this morning... :-)

Here is a Wikipedia article about Vetkoek. The word is probably of Dutch origin, which is pretty similar to German as far as languages go. If you try it, let us know how it turns out.

https://en.wiki … org/wiki/Vetkoek

Where can I buy Health Connection gluten free self-raising cake flour or what do I use as a substitute? Will any brand of gluten free self rising flour work?