Viewing a Solar Eclipse

The solar eclipse has been a wondrous phenomenon to view for millennia. In the past it held great cultural significance and often induced fear. Today it is still an amazing event and can be viewed more carefully with some preparation. This is a guide about viewing a solar eclipse.

August 22, 2016 Flag

On August, 21, 2017, a total solar eclipse will be visible in the US. The path will cross the entire length of the country, from coast to coast. The last total solar eclipse to cross over so many states was in 1970 and the next one won't be until 2045, so this will be a rare opportunity. All of North America should see the partial eclipse, weather permitting, but the total eclipse will only be visible in a 70 mile wide path. Much of the country will have to travel to see totality and many are already making plans.

A solar eclipse occurs when the moon passes directly between the Earth and the sun, blocking out light. This eclipse will start at 10:15 AM on the Oregon coast, and ends about an hour and a half later at 2:39 PM in North Carolina. Maximum totality will take place in Illinois, for only 2 minutes and 42 seconds. It's a very short event so be sure you are in place early so you don't miss it.

Whether you are traveling or are lucky enough to live in the eclipse path, some safety precautions are necessary. Never view a solar eclipse with your naked eye or you may permanently damage your vision. Regular sunglasses are not enough protection. Instead purchase mylar eclipse goggles, which block out the damaging rays. This is especially important for children who may not be able to avoid the temptation to look at the sun. You can also make or purchase a simple pinhole camera to view the eclipse indirectly.

For more information about the eclipse, here is a useful link. Please share your eclipse planning and tips in the feedback below. Happy viewing!

Link: http://www.skyandtelescope.com/total-solar-eclipse-august-2017/

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 1 Comment

September 30, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about making a pinhole solar eclipse viewer. There are several ways to safely view a solar eclipse, one is the pinhole viewer.

Pinhole Eclipse Viewer

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 28, 2009 Flag

Hubby started his raised veggie garden. Since we don't have enough sun or DIRT to do a big garden, here is his way to help fight food costs. Well, maybe $1.00 each for radishes isn't saving us anything yet, LOL but maybe the cost will go down as he learns how to garden. Time to start the Victory Gardens of WWII

Radishes, green onions and sweet yellow wax peppers, he thought were bell peppers. Bless his heart.

By Great Granny Vi from Moorpark, CA

Answers:

Raised Veggie Garden

Hey in these days of rising fuel cost etc any little bit helps. We have just started to do our own vege patch using a system called square foot gardening, here is the link for the website:

Maybe you can utilize some of their ideas which is specifically designed for small areas. Cheers and enjoy the fruits of your hubbies labors.

(05/13/2008)

By Kerry

Raised Veggie Garden

Raised garden is great. We did it for years. Go one step further. Try Square Foot Gardening. It's fun and gives you a ton of food for less and less work. (05/13/2008)

By Frank

Raised Veggie Garden

I have done this for years, not knowing how toxic the ground in my yard was by 2 major highways--a lot of my yard was turned into 6x8 or 6x10 by 12-18 inches high. Depending on what goes into them decides the depth and the texture of the soil. More sandy for the carrots and beets, spinach, lettuce. Taller garden for the often picked items (bending over).

I have a 20 foot long 5 line clothesline which both ends are never used, so the gardens were planted at each end of these also. One end is a U square-shaped, and the other rectangle. Have square ones in the yard around the front of the house.

Also, around the foundation of my house--40 inches out and 24 inches high is a full bed. Part is for the herbs, then flowers, some onion and chives mixed in. Deters the bugs, etc when mix-matching vegies with flowers. My rows in my vegie gardens are 6 inches apart, tall chicken fencing between rows once growth starts. I train the growth up the fencing. Tomato cages are handy for the cukes, squash, zucchini, eggplant, oh, tomatoes too. The climb and inner-twin, I look from under the plants to see the produce hanging to pick.

When the grandchildren's covered sand boxes are emptied in the fall, I dump them into the gardens and till down. Nicest part is, they look like flower gardens--toss some tall growing seeds into one end, etc they look beautiful! Another smart granny! (05/13/2008)

By grandma J

Raised Veggie Garden

I reuse vegetable parts from the grocery store or farmers markets to add to my garden. I cut up old potatoes that have started to grow eyes and plant those. I plant sprouting garlic and onions and let rebulb or go to seed and then plant the seeds. beet, radish and other root veggies can be stuck in the ground and let got to seed. I have used ends and pieces of them and even whole ones that have sat in the fridge to long. they come back to life, it is amazing. Just make sure every thing stays well watered. I also just found some almond trees coming up in my garden from some raw almonds I had composted last winter. I try to let some of everything go to seed. I am on my third generation of kale, broccoli, a Brussels sprouts that I had bought as starters and moved with me to my knew house by sowing their seeds. I also trade seeds with my friends and neighbors to gain variety in my garden. Have fun and experiment! (05/17/2008)

By mamababa

Raised Veggie Garden

With a little experience behind him, you'll be shocked at how much his tiny garden will be able to produce. You may want to add a few container planters as well--simple 5 gallon buckets will work. (05/26/2008)

By susanmajp

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Travel and RecreationAugust 23, 2016
Solar light mounted on interior house wall
Using Solar Yard Lights
Inside a solar porch.
Solar Heating Porch
tardis garden lights
Making Tardis Solar Garden Lights
The sun as viewed through the pinhole viewer.
Making a Pinhole Solar Eclipse Viewer
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 17, 2017 at 11:01:49 AM on 10.0.0.74 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.