Vinegar Soap Mixture and Gnats

For anyone that has trouble with gnats, those pesky flying (and yes they will bite) insects, then the answer to my prayers to get rid of them is to use a little apple cider vinegar and a couple drops of Dawn (or any brand) of dish washing liquid. Mix it up by swirling the bowl around as not to create bubbles.

Then just set the bowl on the counter or anywhere you are having the problem with them. I tried it myself earlier today and within 5 minutes there were about 20 in the bowl that had drowned. Their family members and friends were hanging around sitting on my paper towel holder watching and within about 20 minutes there were about 100 or so in the mixture. I waited about 30 more minutes and there were so many in the bowl you could no longer see any of the liquid left and there were 100's of bodies in there. I disposed of this mixture and made a fresh batch to leave overnight.

I am hoping that when I get up in the morning the rest of them have gone to their "vinegary" soap grave. If you are having these same problems give this a try. Hope it will work as well for your problem as it did for mine.

Source: Found this tip on

By Betsy from Mooresville, NC

Vinegar Soap Mixture and Gnats

This works for fruit flies as well. (07/17/2008)

By Chris

Vinegar Soap Mixture and Gnats

Timely info: They have been fogging my kitchen for days. I remembered the vinegar but not the dishwashing liquid. Can't wait to get home to try it! (07/17/2008)

By Kathy S

Vinegar Soap Mixture and Gnats

How much vinegar should I put in the bowl for every couple of drops of soap?

By Ronnie

Vinegar Soap Mixture For Gnats
Hand washing shower wall
Removing Soap Scum from Shower Doors
Furious girl with a fly swatter.
Getting Rid of Gnats
Vinegar Bottle
Removing Vinegar Smell from Carpet
Neatly Wrapped Homemade Soap
Packaging Homemade Soap for Sale