Vinegar as a Fabric Softener

This is more of a comment rather than a tip because I got the tip here in the first place!

I finally got around to trying white vinegar as a replacement for fabric softener. It works! In some cases I added it to a little liquid softener that I like but when I was totally out of softener a couple days ago I washed towels with just the vinegar in the softener dispenser and wow, they came out really soft and didn't smell like vinegar either!

Give it a try. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Vinegar is natural and is pretty cheap too! I just bought a huge jug of it yesterday for $2.08 and sometimes it goes on sale.

Oh and I also washed some tops of mine with the vinegar for softener. I let them drip dry and they came out very soft and smooth!

I am so glad I read thriftyfun because I would never have known to use vinegar in the wash otherwise!

By Debbie from Illinois

Answers:

Vinegar as a Fabric Softener

This really works! I love the way my clothes smell and feel. (09/05/2006)

By AnnMel

Vinegar as a Fabric Softener

Hey. This sounds like a great idea and I'm going to try it tomorrow. Talk about pinching pennies. Vinegar is so inexpensive. Thanks. (09/05/2006)

By maggie3956

Vinegar as a Fabric Softener

I have used vinegar, not to add softness, but to get rid of the musty smell in the towels and it works great! (09/05/2006)

By Persnickety Paula

Vinegar as a Fabric Softener

I have been using vinegar as my fabric softner for a few years and love it. If you have someone who is scent sensitive then you may want to use vinegar instead of fabric softner.

Zig (09/06/2006)

By Ziggee

Vinegar as a Fabric Softener

I tried this the other day and I love the results! Fresh smell, softness, and cheap. Also great for my front loader that has a tendency to collect water. Wonder why I never knew about it? (03/18/2008)

By sc from indy

Vinegar as a Fabric Softener

I not only use vinegar as a softener, but I use 2 cups of water with 1/4 cup of white vinegar to clean all of my windows, mirrors and glass. It is much better than Windex and other cleaners which have a wax base. The first time you clean everything, add 1/4 tsp. of dish washing detergent to the mixture to remove the wax buildup. From that time on, just

use the vinegar and water mix. Saves so much money and works so much better. (08/22/2008)

By Janice

Vinegar as a Fabric Softener

I've heard that using vinegar will destroy the elastic in things so you might want to just use it in your towels and bedsheets. I don't think I would use it ith your stretch jeans or blouses. (03/31/2010)

By eveh

Vinegar as a Fabric Softener

I did this the other day when washing towels and I was pleased to see it works as well as this site said it would. Yay cheap vinegar, more money in our pockets! (11/24/2010)

By SuzyQ82

Vinegar being poured into fabric softener compartment on a top load washer
Using Vinegar as a Fabric Softener
Fabric Softener Reviews
Fabric Softener Reviews
Downy Fabric Softener Ball
Uses For Downy Fabric Softener Balls
Cleaning a Fabric Softener Dispenser
Cleaning a Fabric Softener Dispenser
Vinegar Bottle
Removing Vinegar Smell from Carpet
🎉
🎄